Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scaling of an eigenvalue with the coupling constant

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    Consider the Hamiltonian ##H = - \frac{d^2}{dx^2}+gx^{2N}##.

Scaling out the coupling constant ##g##, the eigenvalues scale as ##\lambda \propto g^{\frac{2}{N+2}}##.

So, we can drop the g dependence and just consider the numerical value of the eigenvalues and the associated spectral functions at ##g=1##.

I understand that if the eigenvalues do scale as ##\lambda \propto g^{\frac{2}{N+2}}##, then the eigenvalues remain on the same order of magnitude for increasing values of N (as a power of g). As a result, the value of g makes little difference to the value of the eigenvalues. That, I understand.

What I don't understand though is why the eigenvalues scale as ##\lambda \propto g^{\frac{2}{N+2}}## in the first place. Could somebody pleas explain? :(

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Try to introduce a new variable ##y=g^\alpha## and find a value of ##\alpha##, so that both the kinetic and the potential energy have the same pre-factor ##g^\beta##.

4. Feb 11, 2015 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I believe you meant ##y=g^\alpha x##.

5. Feb 11, 2015 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Of course, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook