Scaling The Solar System By A Factor ##\alpha##

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the scale model of the solar system and its impact on velocity and period. The attempt at a solution involves using the basic relationship and re-scaling the solar system by a factor of ##\alpha##. The conclusion is that velocity scales with ##\alpha## and period is independent of ##\alpha##.
XanMan
I am given the solution to the first part of the problem, however not the second part - would appreciate for someone to double check my work! Cheers.

1. Homework Statement

If a scale model of the solar system is made using materials of the same respective average density as the sun and planets, but reducing all linear dimension by a factor ##\alpha##, how will the velocity and period scale with ##\alpha##? Assume a circular orbit in your calculations.

Homework Equations

[/B]
$$F = \cfrac{GMm}{r^2}
$$F = \cfrac{mv^2}{r}

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting off with the basic relationship required:
$$\cfrac{GMm}{r^2} = \cfrac{mv^2}{r}$$

Then: ##v^2 = \cfrac{GM}{r} \propto \cfrac{G \rho R^3}{r}##, where ##R## is the radius of the Sun.

In general: $$v^2 \propto \cfrac{R^3}{r}$$

Re-scaling the solar system by ##\alpha##:

$$v^2 \propto \cfrac{\alpha^3 R^3}{\alpha r}$$

i) Therefore ##v \propto \alpha##

Now, ##v = \cfrac{2 \pi r}{T}##. Thus:
$$\cfrac{2 \pi r}{T} \propto \alpha$$

ii) Therefore ##T \propto \cfrac{1}{\alpha}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, apparently ##v\propto\alpha## is the right answer. If that is so, then I don't understand why you don't let ##r\propto\alpha## in part ii).

Oh, and a belated :welcome: !

Likes XanMan
BvU said:
Well, apparently ##v\propto\alpha## is the right answer. If that is so, then I don't understand why you don't let ##r\propto\alpha## in part ii).

Oh, and a belated :welcome: !

Thank you! I'm not quite sure what you mean exactly. With some reasoning I could have also said that since ##v \propto \alpha##, then ##r \propto \alpha##. It thus follows that ##T \propto \cfrac{1}{\alpha}##.

What I mean is

In part 1 you use ##r' = \alpha r## to find ##v'= \alpha v##
Why don't you do that in part ii) ? to find that ##T'= {2\pi r'\over v'} = ..##

Likes XanMan
BvU said:
What I mean is

In part 1 you use ##r' = \alpha r## to find ##v'= \alpha v##
Why don't you do that in part ii) ? to find that ##T'= {2\pi r'\over v'} = ..##

In which case ##T' = T## - thus ##T## is independent of ##\alpha##? What is wrong in my reasoning that results in me obtaining ##T \propto \cfrac{1}{\alpha}##?

You left ##r## as is. In part i) you inserted ##\alpha r##:
XanMan said:
Re-scaling the solar system by α:$$v^2 \propto \cfrac{\alpha^3 R^3}{\alpha r}$$

[edit] By the way: I had seen this part ii) result before, here

Likes XanMan
Ah, how silly of me! Looked at the result you forwarded as well - got it now. Thank you so much and all the best for the new year!

1. How does scaling the solar system by a factor ##\alpha## affect the sizes of the planets?

Scaling the solar system by a factor ##\alpha## will proportionally increase or decrease the sizes of the planets. For example, if ##\alpha## is 2, then all the planets will double in size. This is because the distance between planets in the solar system is already scaled proportionally, so changing the overall size of the system will not affect their relative distances.

2. Will scaling the solar system affect the orbits of the planets?

No, scaling the solar system by a factor ##\alpha## will not affect the orbits of the planets. This is because the gravitational pull between the planets and the sun remains the same, regardless of the overall size of the system. However, scaling the system too drastically could result in unstable orbits and disruptions in the planetary system.

3. How would scaling the solar system affect the length of a year on each planet?

Scaling the solar system by a factor ##\alpha## would also scale the orbital period of each planet around the sun. This means that a year on each planet would also be scaled by ##\alpha##. For example, if ##\alpha## is 2, then a year on Earth (365 days) would become 730 days, or roughly 2 Earth years.

4. How would scaling the solar system impact the distance between planets?

Scaling the solar system by a factor ##\alpha## would proportionally increase or decrease the distance between planets. For example, if ##\alpha## is 2, then the distance between Earth and Mars (roughly 140 million miles) would become 280 million miles. This is because the distances between planets are already scaled proportionally, so changing the overall size of the system would not affect their relative distances.

5. Could scaling the solar system affect the habitability of planets?

Scaling the solar system by a factor ##\alpha## could potentially affect the habitability of planets, depending on how drastically the system is scaled. Changes in the size and distance between planets could alter the conditions necessary for life to exist. Additionally, scaling the system too drastically could result in changes in the planet's atmosphere and surface temperature, making them uninhabitable. It is important to carefully consider the consequences before attempting to scale the solar system.