Scattering collisions/lorentz-invariant quantity

• Thread starter wyse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary: for the help, in summary, the electron needs to have a high energy in order to scatter off the proton and neutron. energy calculations are done using wavelength=planck's const/momentum, and the final energy is found by ignoring the rest mass of the electron.
wyse
hey guys, here's the question.

Physicts probe inside neutrons and protons by scattering electrons off them.
(i) Explain briefly why it is important that the electrons have high energy.

(ii) Assuming that the protons and neutrons were at rest, calculate the minimum momentum to which the electrons should be accelerated, in order to perform such experiments successfully.

(iii) Considering such scattering collisions in the laboratory frame of reference (where the target is stationary), write formulae for the energies of the electrons and target, and evaluate them in GeV (you may ignore the rest-mass of the electron).

(iv) The total energy in the centre-of-mass reference frame in such electron-nucleon collisions corresponds to the maximum possible mass of all particles in the final state and is a Lorentz-invariant quantity. Ignoring the rest-mass of the electron, calculate this quantity.

My workings:

(i) to ensure that they penetrate the protons and neutrons.

(ii) using wavelngth=planck's const/momentum gives 1.2.

(iii) can someone give me a hint for this part please. i don't understand how to get the velocity for the electron (it says ignore rest mass so using this in part (ii) won't help). also how are we supposed to know the final energies, as we're not told velocities etc.

(iv) are we supposed to use the energies calculated for the neutron is (iii) and somehow find the velocity so we can work out the mass?

thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to proceed from the fact that the electron is a wave and that proton/neutron size is finite, R_n, for example. In order to "see" such a small size, the electron wave-length should be shorter than R_n (to be close to the case of "geometrical optics"). Then simple QM and SR formulae are sufficient to resolve this problem.

Bob.

Bob_for_short said:
You have to proceed from the fact that the electron is a wave and that proton/neutron size is finite, R_n, for example. In order to "see" such a small size, the electron wave-length should be shorter than R_n (to be close to the case of "geometrical optics"). Then simple QM and SR formulae are sufficient to resolve this problem.

Bob.

hi bob, thanks for the reply.
so the proton size is [itex] 1x10^{-15} [/itex], and so this helps me with (ii).

sorry i haven't done any relativity so i don't have a clue what it is on about (i'm a maths student doing a physics course). which formulae?

thanks

What is a scattering collision?

A scattering collision is a type of interaction between particles where they collide and change direction or energy. This can occur in various physical systems such as atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles.

What is a Lorentz-invariant quantity?

A Lorentz-invariant quantity is a physical quantity that remains unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which are transformations that describe how measurements of space and time change for observers in relative motion. This means that the value of the quantity is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

Why are scattering collisions important in physics?

Scattering collisions allow us to study the properties and behavior of particles, such as their masses, charges, and interactions. They also provide insights into the fundamental laws of nature and can be used to test and verify theoretical models.

How is a Lorentz-invariant quantity calculated?

A Lorentz-invariant quantity is calculated using equations that take into account the relative motion of observers. For example, the energy and momentum of a particle can be combined to form a Lorentz-invariant quantity called the particle's four-momentum.

Can scattering collisions violate the conservation of energy and momentum?

No, scattering collisions must obey the conservation of energy and momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum of the particles before the collision must be equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.