Schaum's Outline for self-studying mathematics

In summary, these books are okay for supplemental learning, but they may not cover everything you need for the course you're taking. They may also be out of date, as the author has moved on to other areas of research.
Mayhem
Does anyone have experience with using these books for learning mathematics? I'm particularly looking at the one on linear algebra. The fact that there are countless practice problems with solutions is a selling point. Also, this book in particular sells for like 1/4 of the price of a proper linear algebra textbook and I can buy it at my university book store and have it tomorrow.

My question is this. Are these books too superficial for learning (for someone who is not exactly a genius) and are they best as reference books for someone who has already taken linear algebra? For reference, I personally find I learn the best by doing exercise after exercise as that is where I start noticing emergent patterns.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they are okay for what they were intended ie as a supplement to learning the actual topic.

You could for example, self study using Khan Academy videos and this book and I think that would dramatically improve your learning experience.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/linear-algebra

or using the book with the MathIsPower4U site:

http://www.mathispower4u.com/linear-alg.php

Some of the Schaum's titles have been in print for a long time and may be notationally slightly out of date. I recall in college I would turn to them for help in a course and find that some of what was taught was covered but other things were not.

This was in the time of the great internet desert (ie no internet) and so my options were limited to these study guides and to actual textbooks. In many cases, the problem I was trying to solve was not available in the study guide and so I was never sure my solution was right.

However with todays online resources that problem is mostly fixed.

Lastly, there's the 3Blue1Brown Youtube channel which has a great short sequence called the Essence of Linear Algebra that s definitely a must see once you become more familiar with the math.

https://www.3blue1brown.com/essence-of-linear-algebra-page

Likes Mayhem
One Schaum's that you should definitely get is the Schaum's Outline Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1260010538/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It was perhaps the most useful of all of their series. There's a comprehensive table of integrals of many types.

There's a section on various coordinate systems and related formulas. I was truly amazed at all the ones they provided as at the time only familiar with the orthogonal X, Y, Z, cylindrical and spherical. They however had several more that I'd not seen before.

Likes Mayhem

What is Schaum's Outline for self-studying mathematics?

Schaum's Outline is a series of study guides designed to help students learn and review various subjects, including mathematics. These guides provide concise explanations, practice problems, and examples to aid in understanding and retention of the material.

Who can benefit from using Schaum's Outline for self-studying mathematics?

Schaum's Outline is beneficial for anyone looking to improve their understanding and skills in mathematics. It is particularly helpful for students who are struggling with a particular topic or those who are preparing for exams.

What topics are covered in Schaum's Outline for self-studying mathematics?

Schaum's Outline covers a wide range of topics in mathematics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and more. Each guide focuses on a specific subject, providing comprehensive coverage of the material.

How can Schaum's Outline for self-studying mathematics help with exam preparation?

Schaum's Outline provides practice problems and examples that are similar to those found in exams, making it a valuable tool for exam preparation. It also offers concise explanations and tips to help students understand and apply the concepts effectively.

Is Schaum's Outline for self-studying mathematics a replacement for a textbook?

No, Schaum's Outline is not a replacement for a textbook. It is meant to supplement and reinforce the material covered in a textbook. It can be used as a study aid and reference guide, but it is not a substitute for a comprehensive textbook.