1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schechter Function of Galaxy Luminosity-Density relationship

1. Feb 2, 2006 #1
    Hello. I'm plowing through Linda Sparke's "Galaxies in the Universe: An Introduction". I'm enjoying it quite well and learning a lot. But then I get to Equation 1.18 in the book and am a little confused because it uses variables not previously introduced.

Not sure if I can do it here but the equation introduces a quantity n-star, but doesn't define how it gets in there or what it is. The text gives n-star's value as .019h^3 per Megaparsec. h is the expansion rate of the universe. Is this the number of stars per Megaparsec? And of course correcting for the expansion of the Universe.

I'm sure I'll have quite a few more questons as I go along with this book. Wish I had the time to take some real courses in this. Oh well.

All feedback appreciated.

TIA

Sterling

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2006 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The precise definition can be found here:

Schechter Luminosity Function

You can think of it roughly as being the number density of L* galaxies, which are Milky Way-sized galaxies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?