Schechter luminosity function (integration)

In summary: You can also see that the exponent is negative which means the integral diverges, meaning that the total number of galaxies is infinite. In summary, the given equation for the luminosity function of galaxies, when integrated over all luminosities, results in a diverging integral and thus an infinite number of galaxies.
iloveannaw
Suppose the luminosity function of galaxies is given by the approximation:

dn = [tex]\varphi[/tex] L dL = [tex]\varphi[/tex]* (L / L*)^-[tex]\alpha[/tex] dL/L* when L < L*
and
dn = [tex]\varphi[/tex] L dL = 0 when L > L*

where [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 1.25, L* = 2.0E10 solar luminosities and [tex]\varphi[/tex]* = (3Mpc)^-3

Integrate the above eqn to find the total number density of galaxies, integrated over all luminosities. Ypu should find that the integral diverges (e.g. the number of galaxies is infinite)

Well the integration part seemed fairly straight forward, taking x = (L/L*) and dx = dL/L* I got:

I = [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\varphi[/tex]* (L / L*)^-[tex]\alpha[/tex] dL/L* = [tex]\varphi[/tex]*[tex]\int[/tex] x^-[tex]\alpha[/tex] dx

I = [tex]\varphi[/tex]* (x^(1-[tex]\alpha[/tex])) / (1-[tex]\alpha[/tex])
I = ((3 Mpc)^-3 . (2.0E10 SLs)^-0.25) / -0.25 = (very small negative value)(1 SL)

Im pretty sure the number of galaxies is not less than zero just can't figure this question out. As limits I've taken:
upper limit = L*
lower limit = 0

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It really hurts my eyes when you write the latex code like that :D Just write the entire equation inside the brackets next time. Also, don't forget to plug in your integration limits since they are usually important for getting the right answer. You get an answer which is "[tex] \infty[/tex] - something small", where the infinity comes from the lower limit (as you might expect, since there are many galaxies with near-zero luminosity as seen from earth.)

1. What is the Schechter luminosity function?

The Schechter luminosity function is a mathematical function used to describe the distribution of luminosities (brightness) of galaxies in the universe. It is often used in astrophysics and cosmology to study the properties and evolution of galaxies.

2. How is the Schechter luminosity function calculated?

The Schechter luminosity function is calculated by integrating over the luminosity function of galaxies. This involves summing up the contributions of all individual galaxies at different luminosities and fitting a mathematical curve to the data. The resulting function is then used to estimate the number of galaxies at a given luminosity.

3. What does the integration in the Schechter luminosity function represent?

The integration in the Schechter luminosity function represents the total number of galaxies in the universe within a certain luminosity range. It takes into account both the number of galaxies and their luminosities, allowing for a more comprehensive understanding of the distribution of galaxies.

4. What is the significance of the Schechter parameter in the luminosity function?

The Schechter parameter, often denoted as α, is a key parameter in the Schechter luminosity function. It represents the slope of the function at the faint end, indicating the abundance of low-luminosity galaxies. A lower α value indicates a larger number of faint galaxies, while a higher α value indicates a smaller number of faint galaxies.

5. How is the Schechter luminosity function used in galaxy surveys?

The Schechter luminosity function is used in galaxy surveys to estimate the number of galaxies at different luminosities. By fitting the observed distribution of galaxies to the Schechter function, scientists can also infer the properties and evolution of galaxies, such as their star formation rates and sizes. It is a useful tool for studying the large-scale structure of the universe and understanding the formation and evolution of galaxies.