1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scheduling two different things to learn

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I'm planning to learn two different things for this month. Due to time constraints and other factors, however, I am only able to read on one of them each day.

My question then is that would it be better if I learned the 1st material first for half the month, and then go on to the other one? Or would it be better if I alternated between the two every day? Both would give roughly the same amount of time to learn each one (about 15 days or so), and I figured that that is enough time to learn the material. I am just not sure whether I should read and learn each material straight for 15 days or if I should alternate between the two.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, learning something new requires something akin to digestion time. You read it once or twice, try some problems. Then close the book, walk away from it, let it simmer. Come back to it the next day, and it's so much easier!

So if I were in your position, I would mix it up. A bit of the first subject, a break, a bit of the second subject, a break...repeat.

Of course you know best how you learn.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I just feel like if say, I read the first thing today, and then read the other (which is a totally unrelated topic) tomorrow, I wouldn't have that feeling of continuity in the learning process.

On the other hand, if I study one subject straight for half a month, and then go to the next, I feel like I'm going to forget the 1st subject after working through the 2nd one.

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm...do you have that issue with normally scheduled college classes? If not, perhaps that would be a reasonable approach, like you were taking two classes in a short quarter. Have your Monday-Wednesday-Friday class, and your Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday class.

And sleep all day Sunday :wink:.

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Well, I'm not a college student yet, still a high school kid.

I'm preparing for this thing called the Academic Decathlon. I have to learn 5 subject areas for the competition (history, science, english, music, art...i'm counting out math b/c I already know most of the stuff that's going to be on the test). Now, I only have until February to prepare, so my plan is to study 2 subjects a month. I wish I can read more subjects each day, but my school load won't let me.

So I was wondering if I should do it alternately, or doing 1 subject for 2 weeks straight and moving on to the next. If only my school load will let me I wouldn't have been in this situation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook