Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schlaefli integral satisfies Legendre equation

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    The integral representation of Legendre functions is [itex] P_\nu(z) = \oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2-1)^\nu}{(w-z)^{\nu+1}} dw[/itex]. I'm trying to show that this satisfies Legendre's equation. When I take the derivatives and plug it into the equation, I just get a nasty expression with nasty integrals times functions of z. I don't see how I can combine any of the terms, since they have different powers of z, and all the integrals look different.

[itex]P'_\nu(z) = \oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2-1)^\nu(\nu+1)}{(w-z)^{\nu+2}} dw[/itex]
    and
    [itex]P''_\nu(z) = \oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2-1)^\nu(\nu+1)(\nu+2)}{(w-z)^{\nu+3}} dw[/itex]
    So the expression is
    [itex](1-z^2)\oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2-1)^\nu(\nu+1)(\nu+2)}{(w-z)^{\nu+3}} dw
    -2z \oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2-1)^\nu(\nu+1)}{(w-z)^{\nu+2}} dw
    +\nu(\nu+1)\oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2-1)^\nu}{(w-z)^{\nu+1}} dw
    [/itex]
    Which I need to somehow show is equal to zero. I tried to collect all the integrals together, hoping they would combine together to give me a nice term. At first I was hoping it would give me [itex] \frac{d}{dw} [/itex] of the integrand, so I could just use Cauchy's theorem to show that the integral is zero. But the terms didn't seam to collect that way.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2
    Your guess was correct, you get a derivative inside the integral. Just substitute in the differential equations and arrange terms:

[tex]
    (1-z^2)\frac{d^2 P_\nu(z)}{d z^2} - 2z\frac{d P_\nu(z)}{dz} + \nu(\nu +1)P_\nu(z) = (\nu + 1)\oint_{\Gamma} \frac{(w^2 -1)^\nu}{(w-z)^{\nu + 3}}(-(\nu+2)(w^2 -1) + 2(\nu + 1)w(w-z)) d\,w,
    [/tex]
    which equals

[tex](\nu +1)\oint_{\Gamma} \frac{d}{dw}\left( \frac{(w^2 - 1)^{\nu +1}}{(w-z)^{\nu +2}} \right) d\,w.[/tex]

When [itex]\nu [/itex] is an integer, this equals zero. Otherwise you have too be a little bit careful with the contour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook