1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scholarships/Grants for Math Grad Students

1. Mar 16, 2012 #1
    Does anyone know of a good resource for getting scholarship (or any funding) for math grad students? I will begin a MS program in the fall, and I would like to get as much funding as possible (if I get any from the school, it won't be much.) If this makes a difference, I plan to pursue a Ph.D. after the MS (well, actually, probably I'll just transition directly into the Ph.D. program at my current school.)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2012 #2
    Do you mind saying what university you are going to? I will be in your position very soon. My advisor said I would probably get free tuition for my master's. Did you receive any offers like that? He also said a lot of the time you can earn money form the university by teaching a lower level class, like college algebra. Have you looked into that?

4. Mar 17, 2012 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What country?

5. Mar 17, 2012 #4
    Georgia Tech.

I feel confident that I will get some sort of support (given that this is also where I am doing my undergrad, the grad adviser said, among MS students, I was given more preference wrt support.) I think that I will probably get a tuition waiver at the very least. If I can't get support, then I will be able to TA (just leading recitation sessions and grading) and make a *small* amount of money. We don't have any "low-level" classes at Tech, unfortunately (I think that we have a Pre-calc class, but a Ph.D. candidate gets to teach that.) The problem is that I have been working full-time since I started college and I'd really like to cut back work to at most 15-20 hours a week at my current job. (Ideally, I'd like it to be 0.)

6. Mar 21, 2012 #5
    Thanks for sharing that information, that's encouraging. Sorry I don't have any information for you about scholarships or anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook