School and Classes Recommendations

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's goal of getting a degree in physics and their interest in taking online classes to obtain an associates degree before deciding on a physical college. They were seeking recommendations for online schools or degree goals that would be helpful, specifically in the field of science. The possibility of completing a physics degree entirely online was also discussed, with the recommendation to start at a local community college instead of relying on for-profit online schools with questionable accreditation. The reason for this being that introductory science classes often require in-person labs, which cannot be replicated in an online setting.
CalissaLeigh
Hi all,

I'm looking to get into college and I'd like to get a degree in physics.

I'm looking at taking some online classes and getting an associates degree through some offcampus courses. I work freelance but I'm not sure what school I physically want to go to yet. I thought I'd take time out to work on the associates degree to get basic math and other courses out of the way before I try to pick a school.

My question is, could anyone recommend an online school or degree goal for an associates degree I can aim that would be helpful? Most of the online schools want you to take psychology or business courses. I want something in at least science. Any tips? (I'm browsing the forums but I don't see this particular question asked yet. )

I wouldn't mind doing the whole physics degree from my apartment, at least up to a Masters. This might be hard to pull off but I just wonder if it's possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Many online schools don't offer much in the way of science because introductory science classes require you attend labs, and you can't do that online (well, some schools claim you can, but those 'labs' usually won't transfer as lab credits). You'd be much better off starting at a local community college - many online schools are simply for-profit with dubious accreditation. Community colleges are cheaper, better, and the credits will transfer.

I understand the importance of finding the right educational path to achieve your goals. Pursuing a degree in physics is a great choice and can open up many opportunities for you in the future.

When considering online schools, it is important to research and make sure they are accredited and have a good reputation in the field of physics. Some reputable online schools for physics include Arizona State University, University of Maryland Global Campus, and Oregon State University. These schools offer a variety of courses and degree programs in physics that can be completed online.

In terms of an associates degree, it is important to focus on taking courses that will provide a strong foundation in math and science. This will be beneficial for your future studies in physics. While some online schools may require psychology or business courses, it is important to prioritize courses in the science field.

It is possible to complete a physics degree entirely online, up to a Masters level. However, it may be more challenging to find an online program for a Masters degree as many universities still require in-person lab work and research. It may be beneficial to consider a hybrid program, where some courses are completed online and others are completed on campus. This will provide a well-rounded education and allow for hands-on experience in a laboratory setting.

Overall, it is important to carefully research and consider your options when choosing an online school and degree program. With dedication and hard work, it is possible to achieve your goal of obtaining a degree in physics. Best of luck in your educational journey!

1. What factors should be considered when choosing a school?

When choosing a school, it is important to consider factors such as academic programs, location, cost, school size, extracurricular activities, and student support services. You should also research the school's reputation and success rates, as well as any specific requirements or prerequisites for your desired program of study.

2. How can I find the best classes for my interests and goals?

To find the best classes for your interests and goals, you can start by researching the course offerings and curriculum of different schools. You can also speak with academic advisors or current students to get a better understanding of the classes and programs offered. Additionally, reading reviews and ratings from previous students can give you insight into the quality of classes and professors.

3. Are there any online resources that can help me with school and class recommendations?

Yes, there are several online resources that can assist with school and class recommendations. Some popular ones include college search websites, online forums and discussion boards, and social media groups for students. You can also utilize online tools such as course reviews and recommendations websites to get a better understanding of different schools and classes.

4. How important are class sizes in choosing a school or class?

Class sizes can play a significant role in the overall learning experience and success of a student. Smaller class sizes typically allow for more individualized attention from professors and a more intimate learning environment. However, larger class sizes may offer a wider range of perspectives and opportunities for group work and discussion. It is important to consider your own learning style and preferences when choosing a school and class based on class size.

5. Can I change my recommended classes after enrolling in a school?

It depends on the specific policies of the school and the availability of the classes you wish to change to. Some schools may allow students to make changes to their schedule during a designated add/drop period, while others may have stricter policies. It is important to familiarize yourself with the school's policies and procedures for changing classes before enrolling.