1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

School and Classes Recommendations

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get into college and I'd like to get a degree in physics.

I'm looking at taking some online classes and getting an associates degree through some offcampus courses. I work freelance but I'm not sure what school I physically want to go to yet. I thought I'd take time out to work on the associates degree to get basic math and other courses out of the way before I try to pick a school.

My question is, could anyone recommend an online school or degree goal for an associates degree I can aim that would be helpful? Most of the online schools want you to take psychology or business courses. I want something in at least science. Any tips? (I'm browsing the forums but I don't see this particular question asked yet. )

I wouldn't mind doing the whole physics degree from my apartment, at least up to a Masters. This might be hard to pull off but I just wonder if it's possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

eri

Many online schools don't offer much in the way of science because introductory science classes require you attend labs, and you can't do that online (well, some schools claim you can, but those 'labs' usually won't transfer as lab credits). You'd be much better off starting at a local community college - many online schools are simply for-profit with dubious accreditation. Community colleges are cheaper, better, and the credits will transfer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook