1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Schools for studying the Casimir Effect?

1. Jun 21, 2017 #1
    What would be a good school/s for studying the Casimir Effect at?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Impossible to answer. This is one lecture in one course on QM, and it is impossible to know in advance who will be teaching that course.

4. Jun 21, 2017 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you want study theoretical aspects of the Casimir effect, of do you want to join a research group that does experimental Casimir effect physics?

5. Jun 21, 2017 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Is this for graduate school?

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5
    I'd do a google scholar search for published papers relating to the Casimir effect, read the papers, create a short list of active researchers in the field, and see where they teach at.

7. Jun 21, 2017 #6
    I'm interested in the theoretical aspects, but also being mindful of how easy it is to test those ideas.

8. Jun 21, 2017 #7
    Yeah, sorry about not clarifying that, but I'm asking within the context of pursing it for graduate study.

9. Jun 22, 2017 #8
    I had started by looking at the authors of some books about it, but wasn't able to readily narrow it down. Part of the reason that I asked was to see if people had an idea off the top of their head for various places.

10. Jun 22, 2017 #9

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I second Dr. Courtney's suggestion to look at current or recent papers on the topic. Also, if any professors at your current university work in a more or less "nearby" field, they might at least be acquainted with work on the Casimir effect and be able to suggest people or schools to investigate.

11. Jun 22, 2017 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is going to be an issue. The last important work on this was Jaffe's, in 2005. One important paper every twelve years is not exactly a hotbed of activity. Indeed, the activity that is going on today is largely numeric: calculating with non-ideal shapes and materials. Most of the theory was worked out a half-century ago.

12. Jun 22, 2017 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to look at the article "Casimir Effect: Theory and Experiment" (pdf on right):

https://arxiv.org/abs/1112.1301

I have no idea how mainstream or complete it is, but I think that does illustrate what Vanadium 50 wrote Are you interested in doing these types of calculations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted