Schools for theoretical physics

In summary: Can you tell me something about UK system? What I have seen, they don't ask for any of these requirements but TOEFL and a certain grade of honours(their grading system I think) as they call it.In summary, the UK education system does not require GRE or TOEFL scores, but they do ask for a certain grade of honours.
Casco
Hi, I am searching for a school where I can have a Master of Threoretical Physics, in particular I am interested on particle physics and general relativity any suggestion is welcomed. Ah it could be on either US or UK.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That might be an option in the UK, but in the US, it would just be called a masters in physics. Many good schools don't offer a terminal masters degree; it's a PhD or nothing. What do you plan on doing with this degree? I can't think of many jobs that would require that coursework and not a PhD, or things that would get you with a masters you couldn't do with a bachelors in physics.

eri said:
That might be an option in the UK, but in the US, it would just be called a masters in physics. Many good schools don't offer a terminal masters degree; it's a PhD or nothing. What do you plan on doing with this degree? I can't think of many jobs that would require that coursework and not a PhD, or things that would get you with a masters you couldn't do with a bachelors in physics.

ok. In that case. which universities would you recommend for a PhD on any of those countries??

Well, there are more than 100 universities in the US offering a PhD in physics. GPA? GRE and PGRE scores? Research experience? Hard to tell what you should be shooting for.

eri said:
Well, there are more than 100 universities in the US offering a PhD in physics. GPA? GRE and PGRE scores? Research experience? Hard to tell what you should be shooting for.

Well as I sad, It would be particle physics or general relativity from the theoretical side, both. I just would like to hear maybe 3 or 4 options. I am begginig to search for a few options to apply. The main reason is because I am not from US neither UK. So, for the moment I just know I want to study one of those 2 options.

eri said:
GPA? GRE and PGRE scores?

What is the meaning of that?? As you can see I am not familiar with US or UK education system.
eri said:
Research experience?

Again, What is that?? forgive my ignorance :)

GPA = Grade Point Average. Your average grade (mark) in your undergraduate courses. In the US this is on a scale of 0 to 4.00. Your country likely uses a different scale, in which case your average will be converted to the US equivalent by the graduate schools you are applying to, or maybe by your own university.

GRE = Graduate Record Examination. Most or all graduate schools in the US require applicants to take it. This is a general test of verbal and mathematical ability.

PGRE = "Physics GRE" = GRE Subject Test in physics. Most graduate physics departments in the US require applicants to take it. That is, you need to take both the general exam and the physics exam.

If English is not your native language, you probably also need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or something similar, to convince schools that you know enough English to do OK in your classwork etc.

jtbell said:
GPA = Grade Point Average. Your average grade (mark) in your undergraduate courses. In the US this is on a scale of 0 to 4.00. Your country likely uses a different scale, in which case your average will be converted to the US equivalent by the graduate schools you are applying to, or maybe by your own university.

GRE = Graduate Record Examination. Most or all graduate schools in the US require applicants to take it. This is a general test of verbal and mathematical ability.

PGRE = "Physics GRE" = GRE Subject Test in physics. Most graduate physics departments in the US require applicants to take it. That is, you need to take both the general exam and the physics exam.

If English is not your native language, you probably also need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or something similar, to convince schools that you know enough English to do OK in your classwork etc.

Thanks for the information, very helpful. Can you tell me something about UK system? What I have seen, they don't ask for any of these requirements but TOEFL and a certain grade of honours(their grading system I think) as they call it.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of attending a school for theoretical physics?

Attending a school for theoretical physics allows individuals to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. It also provides a structured environment for individuals to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills that are essential for a career in theoretical physics.

2. What are the qualifications required to attend a school for theoretical physics?

Typically, a strong background in mathematics and physics is necessary to attend a school for theoretical physics. Most schools also require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as physics, mathematics, or engineering. Some schools may also require applicants to have a certain GPA and submit standardized test scores.

3. What topics are covered in a school for theoretical physics?

A school for theoretical physics covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, relativity, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. Additionally, students may also learn about topics such as astrophysics, particle physics, and cosmology.

4. What types of careers are available after attending a school for theoretical physics?

Individuals who attend a school for theoretical physics can pursue careers in various fields, including academia, research, and industry. Some common job titles in theoretical physics include physicist, research scientist, data scientist, and professor. Many theoretical physicists also work in interdisciplinary fields, such as computer science, engineering, and finance.

5. Are there any notable schools for theoretical physics?

Yes, there are several notable schools for theoretical physics around the world, including the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton University, University of Cambridge, and California Institute of Technology. These schools have a long history of producing groundbreaking research and have renowned faculty in the field of theoretical physics.