Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools for theoretical physics

  1. Dec 25, 2011 #1
    Hi, I am searching for a school where I can have a Master of Threoretical Physics, in particular I am interested on particle physics and general relativity any suggestion is welcomed. Ah it could be on either US or UK.

  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2011 #2


    User Avatar

    That might be an option in the UK, but in the US, it would just be called a masters in physics. Many good schools don't offer a terminal masters degree; it's a PhD or nothing. What do you plan on doing with this degree? I can't think of many jobs that would require that coursework and not a PhD, or things that would get you with a masters you couldn't do with a bachelors in physics.
  4. Dec 25, 2011 #3
    ok. In that case. which universities would you recommend for a PhD on any of those countries??
  5. Dec 25, 2011 #4


    User Avatar

    Well, there are more than 100 universities in the US offering a PhD in physics. GPA? GRE and PGRE scores? Research experience? Hard to tell what you should be shooting for.
  6. Dec 25, 2011 #5
    Well as I sad, It would be particle physics or general relativity from the theoretical side, both. I just would like to hear maybe 3 or 4 options. I am begginig to search for a few options to apply. The main reason is because I am not from US neither UK. So, for the moment I just know I want to study one of those 2 options.

    What is the meaning of that?? As you can see I am not familiar with US or UK education system.

    Again, What is that?? forgive my ignorance :)
  7. Dec 25, 2011 #6


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    GPA = Grade Point Average. Your average grade (mark) in your undergraduate courses. In the US this is on a scale of 0 to 4.00. Your country likely uses a different scale, in which case your average will be converted to the US equivalent by the graduate schools you are applying to, or maybe by your own university.

    GRE = Graduate Record Examination. Most or all graduate schools in the US require applicants to take it. This is a general test of verbal and mathematical ability.

    PGRE = "Physics GRE" = GRE Subject Test in physics. Most graduate physics departments in the US require applicants to take it. That is, you need to take both the general exam and the physics exam.

    If English is not your native language, you probably also need to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or something similar, to convince schools that you know enough English to do OK in your classwork etc.
  8. Dec 26, 2011 #7
    Thanks for the information, very helpful. Can you tell me something about UK system? What I have seen, they don't ask for any of these requirements but TOEFL and a certain grade of honours(their grading system I think) as they call it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook