Schrodinger eqn. and its relativistic generalisations

In summary: I am so stupid that I need your advice? Is it possible that you are so arrogant as to think that I cannot tell the difference between a metaphor and a literal statement?I suggest that you are not qualified to tell anyone the limits of their understanding.If you have something to say to me, please say it straight out. Do not couch it in the form of a rhetorical question.Regards,Reilly AtkinsonIn summary, the conversation discusses the validity of the Schrodinger equation in the relativistic case and whether it is ever replaced by something else. It also touches on the idea of wave-particle duality as a metaphor and the use of figurative language in teaching physics. The paper cited
masudr
I've suddenly run into a problem. This has probably arisen from the fact that I've yet to have (and may never have) formal teaching on the relativistic generalisation of QM.

I see the Schrodinger equation proper as

[tex]\hat{H}| \psi (t) \rangle = i\hbar \frac{d}{dt} | \psi (t) \rangle[/tex]

Is this valid in the relativistic case? I guess it must be because wherever I have seen relativistic generalisations, they tend to be relativistic generalisations of the Hamiltonian of the single particle classical Hamiltonian [itex]p^2/2m.[/itex] And as it happens we can recast the above equation into some covariant form (is this coincedence or is it meant to happen?)

But then I later realized that the Dirac equation is more the equation of motion for the spinor field, i.e. in QED, we use the Dirac (for electron spinor field) + EM (for photon field) + interaction (electron-photon) Lagrangian.

In any of this, is the Schrodinger equation proper ever replaced by something else? Or is all we do is find Hamiltonians that describe our relevant particles? And does this apply to particles, or the associated field, or both?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
masudr said:
I've suddenly run into a problem. This has probably arisen from the fact that I've yet to have (and may never have) formal teaching on the relativistic generalisation of QM.

I see the Schrodinger equation proper as

[tex]\hat{H}| \psi (t) \rangle = i\hbar \frac{d}{dt} | \psi (t) \rangle[/tex]

Is this valid in the relativistic case?

Ys, it is.

masudr said:
I guess it must be because wherever I have seen relativistic generalisations, they tend to be relativistic generalisations of the Hamiltonian of the single particle classical Hamiltonian [itex]p^2/2m.[/itex] And as it happens we can recast the above equation into some covariant form (is this coincedence or is it meant to happen?)

Of course it's not a coincidence, if the eqn is Lorentz invariant, then the Lorentz scalars must be made visible, i.e. using Lorentz space-time indices.

masudr said:
But then I later realized that the Dirac equation is more the equation of motion for the spinor field, i.e. in QED, we use the Dirac (for electron spinor field) + EM (for photon field) + interaction (electron-photon) Lagrangian.

Do you miss a "than" btw "more" and "the equation" ? If so, then you're wrong. The (IN)HOMOGENOUS Dirac eqn always describes the dynamics of the quantized Dirac field.

masudr said:
In any of this, is the Schrodinger equation proper ever replaced by something else? [/QUOTE

Well, in QFT, the SE properly describes the time evolution of state vectors, just like in the Galilei-invariant QM. So if you're worried about time-evolution of quantum (multi/uni)particle states, then you'd be worring about the equation posted by you.

masudr said:
Or is all we do is find Hamiltonians that describe our relevant particles? And does this apply to particles, or the associated field, or both?

Canonical quantization, even for free quantum field theories, is a mathematically complicated problem. It should be rigorously done using axiomatic field theory, either the Wightman formulation, or the Haag-Araki one. I'd say the path-integral approach to QFT is the least troublesome method, that is of course if you don't really inquire what a path-integral is from the mathematician's point de vue.

Daniel.

masudr said:
And does this apply to particles, or the associated field, or both?
In my opinion, this is one of the most important not yet satisfactorily solved questions in physics. For more details see
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163
especially Secs. VII-IX.

Demystifier said:
In my opinion, this is one of the most important not yet satisfactorily solved questions in physics. For more details see
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163
especially Secs. VII-IX.

The cited paper's author doesn't get it. He's attacking a strawman. Anyone who's practiced QM knows full well that the idea of wave-particle duality is a useful metaphor, nothing less, nothing more. It, I think, makes the notion of and direct evidence for electron diffraction easier for many to grasp -- knowing of course that such a description is ultimately a fiction. This is worth a big deal of concern? (One of my QM professors, J.H. VanVleck, used to describe a beam of electrons as a flight of mosquitoes. Should he give up his Nobel Prize for being so simple minded as to equate inanimate objects with animate opjects? And, as I recall, he didn't even warn us that he was using figurative language.)

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

reilly said:
The cited paper's author doesn't get it. He's attacking a strawman. Anyone who's practiced QM knows full well that the idea of wave-particle duality is a useful metaphor, nothing less, nothing more. It, I think, makes the notion of and direct evidence for electron diffraction easier for many to grasp -- knowing of course that such a description is ultimately a fiction. This is worth a big deal of concern? (One of my QM professors, J.H. VanVleck, used to describe a beam of electrons as a flight of mosquitoes. Should he give up his Nobel Prize for being so simple minded as to equate inanimate objects with animate opjects? And, as I recall, he didn't even warn us that he was using figurative language.)

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

out of curiosity, did you read the paper? i thought it was interesting, if somewhat uninhibited.

your professor probably didn't want to confuse you.

quetzalcoatl9 said:
out of curiosity, did you read the paper? i thought it was interesting, if somewhat uninhibited.

your professor probably didn't want to confuse you.

Yes, I read the paper. Or, more correctly, I read more than half, but decided that reading more was not of interest to me. And, I do believe that is my right, without any explanation. (As a jazz musician, I say, man, that's a bunch of jive, ain't makin' the changes.)

My professor was prone to jokes, used wonderful figurative language, and, rightfully so, assumed his student were sufficiently bright and sophisticated in the use of mathematics and of language to understand and benefit from his deviations from the straight and narrow. Generally speaking, most of us, even non-physicists can tell figurative language from straight and pragmatic expression. He was not in the slightest interested in any behavior that might demean his students.

Your last comment says a lot more about you, than about me or Prof. VanVleck.

Reilly Atkinson

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum particles, such as electrons, behave over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum particles and is essential for understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other small particles. It has been a cornerstone of modern physics and has led to many advancements in technology, such as transistors and lasers.

3. What are the relativistic generalisations of the Schrodinger equation?

The relativistic generalisations of the Schrodinger equation include the Klein-Gordon equation and the Dirac equation. These equations take into account the effects of special relativity, such as the speed of light, on the behavior of quantum particles.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation related to the uncertainty principle?

The Schrodinger equation is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The Schrodinger equation describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, rather than its exact position, which is in line with the uncertainty principle.

5. How has the Schrodinger equation been applied in real-world situations?

The Schrodinger equation has been applied in many real-world situations, including predicting the behavior of particles in accelerators, understanding the properties of materials, and developing new technologies. It has also been used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering to study and design new materials and molecules.