Schroeder: Intro to thermal physics, Diff. between editions?

In summary, the older editions of the Schroeder: Introduction to thermal physics are the same, while the newer 2013 International Edition is inferior.
ngcjmo
Hi,

I'm facing a slight problem with getting a good version of the Schroeder: Introduction to thermal physics.

According to my lecturer the newest 2013 international edition by Pearson (ISBN: 9781292026213) is not recommended, as it lacks some aspects. And anyway the course is built around the older version, which would be the 2004 Pearson edition (ISBN: 9780321277794).

The annoying thing is, that the 2004 Pearson edition seems to be out-of-print and out-of-stock. Not exactly surprising as it is from the same publisher. But the "original" hardcover US version from 1999 by Addison Wesley (ISBN: 9780201380279) is available in many places.

Now, after that word-regurgitation, to the actual question: What kind of difference is there between the 1999 Addison Wesley, and the 2004 Pearson editions? Is it essentially the same book only inteded for the different markets, or does the 2004 edition vary from the 1999 one?

I realize that amount of people in possession of both of the books is extremely limited, but in case someone here is, I would highly appreciate any guidance.

EDIT: The google books link for the 2004 edition seems to have wrong information, or at least different than what I have (wrong year and publisher). But the cover pictures are correct in all.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so based on the link above (thanks to robphy!), and yet more googling, I starting to come to the conclusion that there are only 2 versions of this book:
The older ones which are all the same in content, and the newer 2013 International Edition which is indeed inferior. If I got correct information, the newer International Edition is scraped down because of some Supreme Court ruling that US customers may purchase International Editions legally also, and then as they are cheper(?) the publisher decided to make the Internatiol edition worse to keep people buying the original hardcover version.

Only thing's that I tend to be rather sceptical of the hearsay info on the web, though the info provided by robphy is from credible source, so I'm starting to be confident that the 1999 and 2004 editions are indeed identical in content. If someone has more information (or can confirm) about what I said above on the 2013 edition, please share!

1. What is the difference between the different editions of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics"?

The main difference between the editions of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics" is updated content. Newer editions may include new developments or changes in the field, as well as updated examples and exercises. Some editions may also have additional chapters or sections compared to previous editions.

2. Is it necessary to have the latest edition of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics" for my studies?

It is not necessary to have the latest edition of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics" for your studies. While the newer editions may have updated content, the fundamental principles of thermal physics remain the same. If you have access to an older edition, it will still provide a solid foundation for understanding the subject.

3. What topics are covered in Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics"?

Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics" covers topics such as the laws of thermodynamics, kinetic theory of gases, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamic potentials. It also includes applications of thermal physics to various fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.

4. Is there a significant difference in content between the different editions of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics"?

While there may be some differences in content between editions, the core concepts and principles of thermal physics remain the same. It is always best to consult with your instructor or refer to the table of contents to determine the specific differences between editions.

5. Can I use older editions of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics" for self-study?

Yes, older editions of Schroeder's "Intro to Thermal Physics" can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to also refer to the newer editions for any updated content or additional resources that may be available. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor can be beneficial for self-study with any edition of the textbook.