Schroedinger Equation (The original article)

• Thread starter guguma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, the Schroedinger Equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system changes over time. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account the total energy of a system and the potential energy of its surroundings. The equation allows for the prediction of the behavior and properties of quantum systems, such as the probability of finding a particle at a certain location. It has been essential in understanding the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, and has played a crucial role in the development of modern technology, including transistors and lasers. The equation is named after Austrian physicist Erwin Schroedinger, who first developed it in 1926 as a way to mathematically describe the
guguma
Could anyone one of you be able to provide me a link, or point me to the journal or article id,
in which Schroedinger first proposed his equation. (And I do not speak German so it would be better if it is somehow translated to English)

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mentioned article is a summary article, which pretty much sums up the six fundamental papers written by Schrödinger in 1926.

The journal ids of the fundamental papers are the following:

• E. Schrödinger, Quantisierung als Eigenwertproblem
(Erste Mitteilung), Ann. Phys. 79, 361-76 (1926).
(Zweite Mitteilung), Ann. Phys. 79, 489-527 (1926).
• E. Schrödinger, Der stetige Übergang von der Mikro-
zur Makromechanik, Die Naturwissenschaften, 14. Jahrg. Heft 28, S. 664-666 (1926).
• E. Schrödinger, Über das Verhältnis der Heisenberg-Born-Jordanschen
Quantenmechanik zu der meinen, Ann. Phys. 79, 734-56 (1926).
(Dritte Mitteilung), Ann. Phys. 80, 437-90 (1926).
(Vierte Mitteilung), Ann. Phys. 81, 109-39 (1926).

Unfortunately I am not able to provide you with a translation or a copy of these article. If you happen to find one of these papers I might be able to translate a few paragraphs, though.

Thanks to you both, I really appreciate it.

It's funny how different the Schrodinger Equation looked in 1926 versus today.

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system evolves over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1925.

2. What does the Schrödinger equation tell us?

The Schrödinger equation tells us how the wave function of a quantum system changes over time. This wave function represents the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and the equation allows us to predict the future behavior of the system.

3. What are the key components of the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation consists of two main components: the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of the system, and the wave function, which represents the state of the system.

4. How is the Schrödinger equation different from classical mechanics?

The Schrödinger equation is a key part of quantum mechanics, which is fundamentally different from classical mechanics. Unlike classical mechanics, which describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. The Schrödinger equation takes into account the wave nature of particles, while classical mechanics only considers their particle-like behavior.

5. What are some applications of the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation has a wide range of applications in fields such as quantum chemistry, solid-state physics, and electrical engineering. It has also been used to develop technologies such as transistors, lasers, and superconductors. Additionally, the principles of the Schrödinger equation have been applied in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.