Schutz page 294 (Deflection of light)

In summary, Schutz defines (11.52) to approximate the elliptic integral (11.49). The second order term in (11.52) is related to the distance of closest approach.
Mr-R
Hello Everyone,

I am working through Schutz's A first Course in General relativity. On page 294 he defines the equations (11.52) to simplify equation (11.49) and calculated the deflection of light around the sun. I know that he wants to simplify it and also to preserve the effect of the mass M. I am just not sure how and why he defined (11.52) in this particular way.

( 11.52): y=u(1-Mu) and u=y(1+My)+O(M2u2)

(11.49): ##\frac{d\phi}{du}={(b^{-2}-u^{2}+2Mu^{3})}^{-\frac{1}{2}}##

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :oops:

I don't have Schutz, so it's hard to comment. I've seen other texts in which u=1/r, and b is given a name the "impact parameter". I can't confirm that's what the symbols mean in Schutz's text at this point though.

I don't have Schutz, so it's hard to comment. I've seen other texts in which u=1/r, and b is given a name the "impact parameter". I can't confirm that's what the symbols mean in Schutz's text at this point though. The impact parameter was closely related to the distance of closest approach, IIRC - there was additional explanation of it's significance which I have since forgotten.

pervect said:
I don't have Schutz, so it's hard to comment. I've seen other texts in which u=1/r, and b is given a name the "impact parameter". I can't confirm that's what the symbols mean in Schutz's text at this point though. The impact parameter was closely related to the distance of closest approach, IIRC - there was additional explanation of it's significance which I have since forgotten.

Thanks for the reply pervect. Yes you are correct about the definitions. But I actually know what they mean and can do the calculation just fine. I am just not sure why he defined (11.52) in that specific way to simplify (11.49).

That's just a substitution to get the approximation of the elliptic integral (11.49). Of course, you can just evaluate this integral to get the deflection of a light ray (not a photon, as unfortunately written all the time by Schutz; a photon has no trajectory, because you cannot even define a position operator in flat spacetime; I guess QED in the Schwartzschild metric is pretty complicated and fortunately not necessary for the question under investigation; see also the thread on "null geodesics").

Thanks vanhees71. I have read your post in the thread you have mentioned. tbh I have always thought of a photon in GR textbooks as the classical light rays.
I wish if Schutz stated why he uses some of those substitutions to avoid confusion. What is that second order term doing in (11.52)? Also how are the two equations IN (11.52) related ? (y and u)

Mr-R said:
What is that second order term doing in (11.52)? Also how are the two equations IN (11.52) related ? (y and u)
Are you familiar with Big O notation?

If y is defined to be [itex]y = u(1-Mu)[/itex], then [itex]My =Mu + O(M^2u^2) \text{ as } Mu \rightarrow 0[/itex], i.e. [itex]Mu = My + O(M^2u^2)[/itex] and so[tex]
\begin{align*}
u &= \frac{y}{1-Mu} \\
&= y(1 + Mu + O(M^2u^2)) \\
&= y(1 + My) + O(M^2u^2) \, .
\end{align*}
[/tex]

The 2nd Eq. in (11.52) is an approximate inverse of the first. You get the approximation as follows. You have
$$y=u(1-Mu)$$
or
$$u=\frac{1}{2M} (1-\sqrt{1-4My})=y \left [1+M y+\mathcal{O}(M^2 y^2) \right].$$
Since thus ##u \simeq y## up to linear order in ##My## you can as well write
$$u=y[1+My+\mathcal{O}(M^2 u^2)].$$

Thank you both DrGreg and vanhees71. Very easy to follow.
I guess I will read up about elliptic integrals to get a better feel of the integral.

Just one thing, I think that there are easier ways to calculate the deflection. Why did Schutz choose this way to do it? any conceptual/mathematical reason or listen behind it?

1. What is the Schutz page 294 about?

The Schutz page 294 discusses the deflection of light, which is the phenomenon where light rays change direction when passing through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass.

2. Why does light deflect when passing through different mediums?

This deflection of light occurs due to the change in the speed of light when it travels through different materials. This change in speed causes the light to bend or refract.

3. What factors affect the amount of deflection of light?

The amount of deflection of light depends on the density and composition of the medium it is passing through, as well as the angle at which the light enters the medium. Materials with higher densities and different compositions will cause more significant deflections.

4. How does the deflection of light impact our vision?

The deflection of light is essential for our vision as it allows us to see objects and images clearly. Without this phenomenon, light would travel in a straight line and not be focused onto our retinas, resulting in a blurred vision.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the deflection of light?

Yes, the deflection of light has various practical applications, such as in the creation of lenses for eyeglasses, microscopes, and telescopes. It is also used in fiber optics technology, which is crucial for telecommunication and internet connectivity.