A computation of an integral on page 344 of Schutz's textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a new coordinate ##\chi(r)## and its integration using the equations (12.16) and (12.17) from page 344 of "A First Course in GR." The individual realizes their mistake in the integration and thanks the expert for clarifying the error. The expert then responds, correcting the mistake and providing further explanation.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
On page 344 of "A First Course in GR" he writes the following:
Consider, next, ##k=1##. Let us define a new coordinate ##\chi(r)## such that:
$$(12.16)\ \ \ d\chi^2 = \frac{dr^2}{1-r^2}$$
and ##\chi =0 ## where ##r=0##. This integrates to
$$(12.17) \ \ \ r=\sin \chi,$$
When I do the integration I get the following: ##\int_0^{\chi^2}d\chi^2= \int_0^{r^2}\frac{dr^2}{1-r^2}= \chi^2 = -\ln (1-r^2)##, after I invert the last relation I get: ##r=\sqrt{1-\exp(-\chi^2)}##, where did I go wrong in my calculation?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should of course integrate
$$\int \mathrm{d} \chi = \int \mathrm{d}r \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-r^2}}...$$

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
vanhees71 said:
You should of course integrate
$$\int \mathrm{d} \chi = \int \mathrm{d}r \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-r^2}}...$$
Ah, yes you are correct. It's ##(dx)^2## and not ##d(x^2)##.
I am really getting old and sloppy... :-(

How do you define and Integral with ##\mathrm{d} x^2##, and it's not ##\mathrm{d} (x^2)=2x \mathrm{d} x##, because you want ##\chi## and not something else ;-).

vanhees71 said:
How do you define and Integral with ##\mathrm{d} x^2##, and it's not ##\mathrm{d} (x^2)=2x \mathrm{d} x##, because you want ##\chi## and not something else ;-).
I meant I thought it was ##d(\chi^2)=\frac{d(r^2)}{1-r^2}##. But now I see my mistake, thanks for clearing this simple thing.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the purpose of computing an integral in Schutz's textbook?

The purpose of computing an integral in Schutz's textbook is to solve problems related to finding the area under a curve or the volume of a three-dimensional object. Integrals are also used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to calculate quantities such as work, force, and probability.

2. How do I compute an integral on page 344 of Schutz's textbook?

To compute an integral on page 344 of Schutz's textbook, you will need to follow the specific steps outlined in the textbook. These steps usually involve identifying the limits of integration, determining the appropriate integration method, and solving the integral using mathematical techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What are some common mistakes when computing an integral?

Some common mistakes when computing an integral include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulation, and forgetting to use the correct integration method. It is also important to carefully check the limits of integration and ensure that they are correctly set up for the given problem.

4. Can I use a calculator to compute the integral on page 344 of Schutz's textbook?

Yes, you can use a calculator to compute the integral on page 344 of Schutz's textbook. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always give exact answers and may round off the result. It is recommended to use a calculator only as a tool and to always double-check your answer by hand.

5. Why is it important to learn how to compute integrals?

It is important to learn how to compute integrals because they are used in a wide range of scientific and mathematical applications. Being able to solve integrals allows you to solve complex problems and make predictions about real-world phenomena. Additionally, understanding integrals is essential for further studies in calculus, physics, and other fields of science and engineering.