1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schwinger trick and following change of variables

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have the evaluation of the integral associated with the electron self-energy diagram and I am following Brian Hatfield's book "Quantum Field Theory of point particles and strings", and I am having problems with the integration limits after changing variables from [itex]z_2[/itex] to [itex]1-z_2[/itex], at p.388.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{d\beta}{\beta} \int_0^\infty dz_2 \left[2m_o - (1-z_2)\gamma^\mu p_\mu)\right] e^{-\beta[(1-z_2)z_2 p^2 - m^2_o z_2 - \lambda^2(1-z_2)]}[/itex]

Since it may be relevant, some additional information: before this integral, we had an integration over [itex]z_1[/itex], which involved a Dirac delta function, [itex]\delta(1-z_1-z_2)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I expected the change of variables to be as straightfoward as it seemed to be, resulting in:

[itex]\int_0^\infty \frac{d\beta}{\beta} \int_{-\infty}^1 dz \left(2m_o - z\gamma^\mu p_\mu)\right) e^{-\beta[z(1-z) p^2 - m^2_o(1-z) - \lambda^2z]}[/itex]

But, in Hatfield's book, the lower limit of the integral in [itex]z[/itex] becomes [itex]0[/itex] instead of [itex]-\infty[/itex]. I wonder if the integration from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to [itex]0[/itex] may vanish somehow, but I just can't figure it.

In advance, thank you all for the help!

(English is not my native language. I apologize any mistake.)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2
    If think I found my mistake: evaluating the previous [itex]z_1[/itex] integration with the delta function will automatically change the integration limits of the [itex]z_2[/itex] integration.

Looking at the step before the above integral, where we have the integral over [itex]z_1[/itex], from [itex]z_1=0[/itex] to [itex]z_1=\infty[/itex], we note that:

- There is the delta, [itex]\delta(1-z_1-z_2)[/itex], demanding [itex]z_1=1-z_2[/itex].

- But [itex]z_2[/itex] is integrated from [itex]z_2=0[/itex] to [itex]z_2=\infty[/itex], saying that [itex]z_1[/itex] may assume values between [itex]-\infty[/itex] and [itex]1[/itex].

- On the other hand the integration over [itex]z_1[/itex] puts its values between [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]\infty[/itex].

- The range of values [itex]z_2[/itex] may assume so that the delta function argument is satisfied goes from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]1[/itex].

Therefore, this should be the range of integration for the [itex]z_2[/itex] integration after the evaluation of the delta function: from [itex]z_2=0[/itex] to [itex]z_2=1[/itex]. In such a way, the change of variables from [itex]z_2[/itex] to [itex]z=1-z_2[/itex] is indeed as straightfoward as it seems, and also the integration limits are as expected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook