Space survival game design with zero-g exploration and resource management

  • Thread starter Thread starter EBENEZR
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game Sci-fi
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 23K views
Keep us posted on the progress :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bp_psy said:
This looks like it could be very cool game. How easy will dying due to environmental reasons?
Have you considered some sort of body-part injury system ? If the game world is sufficiently brutal, the lack of a bad guy can be overlooked quite easily.

How easy? Fairly, if you don't learn how to assess risk properly during the game. Although the spaceship is designed with the safety of crew as tantamount, clearly something has gone wrong and, as is the case in the real world, you can easily wind up dead. The idea of a "hit point" system is unrealistic and should be done away with, I think, personally. A person is not a homogenous gloop that will suffer damage evenly distributed.

I hadn't considered such a thing, funnily, despite the above conviction. It's a good idea, and a great way for the player to empathise with their character more and take a less "all guns blazing" attitude to the virtual world. I guess in a malfunctioning spaceship in a near vacuum, the game world could be sufficiently brutal, yes! When you consider how many people die and are injured on a yearly basis from soft furnishings, it'd be crazy not to think that real antagonist is the universe itself.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Keep us posted on the progress :smile:

Will do :)

Filip Larsen said:
The first post made me instantly think about System Shock 2 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2

I guess, it's impossible to get a game that has no content repeated, but I'm hoping the plot is sufficiently different (I believe it is) that there won't be an overlap. Hopefully if this gets pitched, any developer can point out possible blatant plagiarism problems (even if it wasn't a deliberate plagiarism)... which I'm willing to compromise on.
 
As I have recently started a job/apprenticeship training as a welder-fabricator, which is damn pleasurable when it's not insanely busy or brain numbingly slow, I've been thinking: industrial procedures in space. What if the player needs to do some maintenance on the craft by doing a spacewalk? There hasn't been much welding done in space from what I am aware, a bit of research by the Russians... How plausible would it be for the player to take a welder out and fix a few things (maybe some other stuff, like a mag drill) whilst out on a spacewalk, and which form of welding would be most appropriate? To some extent I can imagine welding working better in space than on Earth, but at the same time, I can easily believe the same things that would make it better could also make it much more difficult. Any ideas?
 
Well, that apprenticeship didn't pay out, but the industrial environment was very inspiring.

However, I have just started a job as a 3D Technician, so I'll be getting used to 3D modelling and getting paid to do it! I have been doing some considerations on this story. I will come back.