Scientific Thinking Graphing -Determining the Mathematical Expression

In summary, the conversation was about a homework assignment for "Scientific Thinking Graphing Practice" where the goal was to convert a data table into a straight line graph. The relevant equation for the assignment was P=(3.9 pa/m3) (1/V) and the task was to find the mathematical expression and create a straight line graph. The student had already graphed the problem and found a similar worksheet for reference, but needed help understanding the relationship between the variables and how to make the data a straight line. The suggestion was to propose a relationship based on physics and determine the proportionality between the two variables.
davyvfr
"Scientific Thinking Graphing" -Determining the Mathematical Expression

Homework Statement

Ok, so I recently got an assignment for "Scientific Thinking Graphing Practice". Basically, I need to take a data table that will produce a curve shaped graph and turn it into a straight lined graph.

Homework Equations

P=(3.9 pa/m3) (1/V)

The m3 is cubed

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried the first problem and have looked at the others. I have managed to get the mathematical equation for my homework question as that is the relevant equation. I found a worksheet that is similar to mine but not exact. I have already graphed the problem and have a general idea of how I am supposed to get the problem.

Here is a worksheet that is similar to mine: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...TItYzBlNi00ZjkyLWFiY2QtYWIxYjRjZjhhZjJl&hl=en

I need help finding how to get the mathematical expression and how to make the data a straight line. I don't need answers, just explanations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

For the first part I'd think that you need to propose a relationship on the basis of the physics, and see if your data fits that. The key for the second part is to see what kind of proportionality exists between the two variables. For example, your equation says that P is inversely proportional to V. What is it directly proportional to then?

1. What is scientific thinking graphing and why is it important?

Scientific thinking graphing is a process of visually representing data in order to analyze and understand patterns and relationships between variables. It is important because it allows scientists to identify trends and make predictions based on the data.

2. What are the steps involved in determining the mathematical expression from a graph?

The first step is to determine the dependent and independent variables. Then, plot the data points on a graph and analyze the relationship between the variables. Next, use the slope of the line or the shape of the curve to determine the mathematical expression. Finally, check the accuracy of the expression by plugging in data points.

3. What types of graphs are commonly used in scientific thinking?

The most commonly used graphs in scientific thinking are line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and histograms. Line graphs are used to show trends over time, bar graphs are used to compare different categories, scatter plots are used to show relationships between variables, and histograms are used to show the distribution of data.

4. How can the mathematical expression from a graph be used in scientific research?

The mathematical expression from a graph can be used to make predictions and test hypotheses in scientific research. It can also be used to communicate findings and support conclusions in research papers and presentations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when determining the mathematical expression from a graph?

One common mistake is using the wrong type of graph for the data. Another mistake is not accurately labeling the axes and data points on the graph. It is also important to ensure that the data is reliable and representative of the population being studied. Finally, avoid making assumptions or drawing conclusions that are not supported by the data.