Scientifice Definition of Life

• Thread starter Routaran
  • Start date
Hello all
I was reading an article which claimed science did not have a definition for Life. that statement on face value i think is just plain wrong. I think the author may have ment that it didnt have a definition that everyone will perhaps agree on.

I am a computer programmer and my crude defintion is as follows:
Life is anything that consumes fuel and expends energy to maintain its "bodily functions", reacts to external stimulus and reproduces with heredity.

So i wanted to know if there was a definition that was accepted in the professional circles and what it was?

Answers and Replies

Hello all
I was reading an article which claimed science did not have a definition for Life. that statement on face value i think is just plain wrong. I think the author may have ment that it didnt have a definition that everyone will perhaps agree on ...

Life is anything that consumes fuel and expends energy to maintain its "bodily functions", reacts to external stimulus and reproduces with heredity.
A mule can't reproduce by heredity, yet it is still life.

crap, good point.
any other definitions that cant be shot down in one short sentence?

In general, living systems are defined as being capable of metabolism (by which they maintain a lower state of entropy than the environment) and the ability to replicate. Not every individual may be able to replicate, but is at least created by replication. In maintaining a state far from equilibrium with the environment, living systems increase the overall environmental entropy.

Last edited: