Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Screenshot recording programs

1. May 10, 2017 #1
    What are easy-to use screenshot recording programs? I would like to upload my project to internet for my instructor check it. I am not familiar with this. What would you advise me? Have you ever tried these:

Random Steam Key
    Icecream screen recorder
    Ezvid video maker
    Atomi Active Presenter
    Screen Presso
    Bandicam Screen Recorder

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about just Alt-PrintScreen and paste it into Paint, save as JPG?

4. May 10, 2017 #3
    This might be but I was asking about video recording so does not word "recording" itself imply that this would be video recording?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  5. May 10, 2017 #4

jtbell

You asked about "screenshots." To me, "screenshots" implies [still or stationary] images, not video.

6. May 11, 2017 #5
    Are they classified as "screen recorder"?

Thank you.

7. May 11, 2017 #6
    I've used both Ezvid and Bandicam. The free versions have some considerable limitations, but can still do the job fine of screen recording.

8. May 11, 2017 #7
    How is CamStudio?

Thank you.

9. May 11, 2017 #8
    Might I confuse screenshot with screensnap?

Thank you.

10. May 11, 2017 #9
    Camstudio is a more robust program that is very popular, not sure if they have a decent free version. Screenshot is a static image. Are you looking to record video of your screen?

11. May 11, 2017 #10
    Yes, and looking for correct terms.

Thank you.

12. May 11, 2017 #11
    Screencast or simply video screen capture

13. May 11, 2017 #12

berkeman

Some video streams that come to your computer are not meant for free download. You need to pay for some of them if you want to download a copy. Are you looking to record videos of those types of video feeds?

14. May 11, 2017 #13
    Do you mean downloading videos to watch? If so, the answer is no. I just want to make a video record of my screen and upload it to internet.

Thank you.

15. May 11, 2017 #14
    Fraps seems to be the standard for recording video game sessions, as seen on Youtube's "let's play ..." videos. One reason is the ability to record video which uses DirectX. A demo version is available.

"Screenshot" implies a snapshot. It can be of a static screen or a still from a video.

Fraps refers to itself as "real-time video capture."

CamStudio says "Free Desktop Recorder Streaming Video Software."

I've used CamStudio to record some instructional videos. In these videos I showed some slides made using Beamer while I narrated. Both audio and video were recorded. It was adequate for this purpose.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  16. May 11, 2017 #15
    P.S.

You may also need some audio processing software. Audacity is good.

I used MS Movie Maker to put some audio and video clips together. It was simple and easy to use. But that was on my Vista machine. Now I have my new Windows 10 machine and it's not installed. Apparently you may be able to download it from MS. Maybe someone on PF has used a free and good alternative to Movie Maker?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  17. May 12, 2017 #16

OCR

Here's some stuff I found, Aufbauwerk 2045...

If you are talking about Windows Movie Maker ...?
    And...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18614/windows-essentials
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13785/essentials-2012-release-notes

https://www.google.com/search?q=MS+Movie+Maker&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Oh, I almost forgot, I found a nice helper, too.... lol

Virtual agent.JPG

18. May 12, 2017 #17
    Thanks @OCR. To quote Dr. McCoy: "I know engineers. They love to change things."

19. May 28, 2017 #18
    I have installed camstudio. It's free but I don't understand interface. After choosing record, there is a small square. What will I do with it?
    Thank you.

20. May 28, 2017 #19
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted