Searching for a Modern-Day Equivalent to Bell Labs

In summary, the person is interested in finding a modern day equivalent to Bell Labs, but it seems that no such equivalent exists. Bell Labs still exists under the name Lucent-Alcatel, but it is not the same as the old Bell Labs in terms of research and funding. The person also mentions their plan to recreate Bell Labs and discusses the decline of basic research in industry due to a focus on immediate profit. They suggest that outsourcing basic research to universities and government labs may be a better option. They also mention Google Research as a possibility for basic research, but note that it mainly focuses on statistics.
afrocod
I will be going to university next year and I've really fell in love with the idea of working somewhere like the old Bell Labs. What I want to know is... Is there a modern day equivalent to Bell Labs (anywhere in the world) or have I created an unattainable dream, rooted in a long forgotten past?

Thanks in advance, I scoured the internet for the answer with no luck.

Physics news on Phys.org
A "modern day equivalent" to Bell Labs is Bell Labs. It's now run by "Lucent-Alcatel" but it still exists.

HallsofIvy said:
A "modern day equivalent" to Bell Labs is Bell Labs. It's now run by "Lucent-Alcatel" but it still exists.

Well knock me over with a feather... ha ha.. thanks...

Doc Al said:
www.bell-labs.com/

http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/wps/portal/BellLabs

It's not like the 'old' Bell Labs, but it's something.

As far as I've been told/read it is indeed quite different from the old Bell Labs in terms of the research done, how "free" the researchers are to pursue blue sky research etc.
IBM used to run a few labs that were somewhat similar to Bell Labs, but although they do still formally exist (e.g. Yorktown Heights) they have changed a lot and are now more like conventional R&D centres.

So, no there are AFAIK no modern day equivalents to the old Bell Labs (the one exception I can think of is NTT Basic Research in Japan, but they get most of their funding for academic research from government grants, not from NTT)

f95toli said:
As far as I've been told/read it is indeed quite different from the old Bell Labs in terms of the research done, how "free" the researchers are to pursue blue sky research etc.
IBM used to run a few labs that were somewhat similar to Bell Labs, but although they do still formally exist (e.g. Yorktown Heights) they have changed a lot and are now more like conventional R&D centres.

So, no there are AFAIK no modern day equivalents to the old Bell Labs (the one exception I can think of is NTT Basic Research in Japan, but they get most of their funding for academic research from government grants, not from NTT)

Ah, I was expecting something like that, I wasn't sure though... Thanks for that info...

On my "todo list", one of the items is "recreate Bell labs".

One other item is "get people back on the moon"

As far as "how" I'm going to do that. Well...

Bell labs was possible because you had a state supported highly-regulated corporation that needed to do basic research in order to convince the powers that be not to remove its government support.

Now telecommunications is no longer quasi-state supported highly-regulated industries. But... You can take a look out there and see if there are any other state supported highly-regulated industries that hire large numbers of Ph.D.'s.

As far as 2). Something that I'd like to do in the next five to ten years is to do convince the head of major non-US power (probably China) to give a speech saying "we are going to moon, anyone else that wants to race us there can go ahead."

Last edited:
twofish-quant said:
Bell labs was possible because you had a state supported highly-regulated corporation that needed to do basic research in order to convince the powers that be not to remove its government support.

Now telecommunications is no longer quasi-state supported highly-regulated industries. But... You can take a look out there and see if there are any other state supported highly-regulated industries that hire large numbers of Ph.D.'s.
That's not exactly true. Sure, being a state-sanctioned monopoly helps, but AT&T agreed to the breakup of the Baby Bells partially because the DOJ was threatening to take away Western Electric, which Bell Labs was part of. AT&T management at the time believed that R&D was a key point for their survival. The real destruction of Bell Labs happened quite a bit after the deregulation of the telecom industry (a decade or so, when it became Lucent and got the “big red zero” logo). It came about when business degrees that had no business in the technical field took over and wanted 200% ROI within a week on everything. That's why there are no basic research labs in industry today. Every research project has to have an immediate goal.

There are lots of PhDs in the telecom/semiconductor industry, but it's for applied research. The more basic research is outsourced to universities and government labs by the industry, so maybe it's actually better that way: less dependence on tax-revenue funding, which is dropping fast.

caffenta said:
The real destruction of Bell Labs happened quite a bit after the deregulation of the telecom industry (a decade or so, when it became Lucent and got the “big red zero” logo). It came about when business degrees that had no business in the technical field took over and wanted 200% ROI within a week on everything.

The business degrees and the idea that everything has to have an immediate profit happened because of an social philosophy that was part of the deregulation idea. The idea is that the market always knows best so what you should do is to let the market run everything. If it turns out that if the market wants no basic research in industry, that's supposedly a good thing. More efficient.

The more basic research is outsourced to universities and government labs by the industry, so maybe it's actually better that way: less dependence on tax-revenue funding, which is dropping fast.

Except that tax-revenue funding is getting cut and that's going to hit the universities and government labs pretty badly.

twofish-quant said:
On my "todo list", one of the items is "recreate Bell labs".

ie. a basic research lab funded by industry?

Is some of the stuff done at Google research basic enough? On the other hand, it's mainly statistics, which has a long history of being industry-related, all the way back to Student's t-test.

Except that tax-revenue funding is getting cut and that's going to hit the universities and government labs pretty badly.

I agree, the added funding coming from industry probably won't be enough to offset the drop in tax-based funding, unfortunately.

Industry research is actually not bad, even now. Having a clear goal has its advantages. And when the wind blows your way, there's no shortage of funding. $$ :cool:

twofish-quant said:
On my "todo list", one of the items is "recreate Bell labs". "

Keep me posted... twofish-quant for president!

No one has mentioned the National Labs. Quite a bit of basic research is done in these government funded labs, including Livermore, Los Alamos, Sandia, Oak Ridge, Fermilab, Argonne, Brookhaven, NREL, INEEL ... I'm sure I've forgotten some. Afrocod - would these be what you are looking for, or do you specifically want an industry-funded lab?

phyzguy said:
No one has mentioned the National Labs. Quite a bit of basic research is done in these government funded labs, including Livermore, Los Alamos, Sandia, Oak Ridge, Fermilab, Argonne, Brookhaven, NREL, INEEL ... I'm sure I've forgotten some. Afrocod - would these be what you are looking for, or do you specifically want an industry-funded lab?

What would be the difference between a government funded lab and an industry funded one?

afrocod said:
What would be the difference between a government funded lab and an industry funded one?

Back in the golden old days before the split of AT&T, none. Now, industry-funded labs tend to have very short view on basic research and are very profit-driven. It is why Bell labs have gotten out of basic fundamental research (I think they've gotten out of superconductivity research, for example).

When Bell labs decided to ramp down on its effort in these basic areas, the National Labs are the ones being given the burden to carry on such work.

Zz.

@zapper

you say burden like it's a negative thing. is it?

flemmyd said:

If you are given more to do. and no more money to do it, then yes it is a burden. One of the things that I worry is happening in the US is that people are burning seed corn. Basic research doesn't pay off for 20 to 30 years, and if you are looking only at now, then you cut it, and then things go downhill.

What really worries me is that until recently, the people that generally wanted less government spending also tended to want more defense programs, which meant that even when the budget ax fell, you could get money for basic research through the military. With even that being cut, I have huge worries about the long term ability of the US to do science.

The thing that really, really worries me is that there is a slow brain drain in science talent that I don't think most Americans are quite aware of.

flemmyd said:
@zapper

One problem is that national labs and similar institutes in the US and elsewhere are increasingly engaged in the type of research that was previously done by industry. And since -as has already been mentioned- the budgets haven't been increased that means less money and fewer resources go to fundamental and (applied) blue sky research.

1. What was Bell Labs and why is it significant?

Bell Labs was the research arm of the American telecommunications company AT&T, founded in 1925. It is significant because it was responsible for numerous groundbreaking inventions and discoveries in the fields of telecommunications, computer science, and physics, including the invention of the transistor, the development of the UNIX operating system, and the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation.

2. Why do we need a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs?

We need a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs because it was a unique and highly successful model for collaborative and interdisciplinary research, bringing together scientists and engineers from various fields to work on cutting-edge projects. It was also known for its long-term and fundamental research, which often led to groundbreaking discoveries and innovations with real-world applications.

3. What are some potential candidates for a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs?

Some potential candidates for a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs include industrial research labs such as IBM Research, Google X, and Microsoft Research, as well as government-funded research institutions like the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF). Universities with strong research programs and collaborative environments may also serve as modern-day equivalents to Bell Labs.

4. How can a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs be successful?

A modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs can be successful by fostering a collaborative and interdisciplinary research environment, providing long-term and stable funding for fundamental research, and attracting top talent in various fields. It should also prioritize innovation and encourage risk-taking, as well as have a strong culture of knowledge sharing and open communication.

5. What challenges may arise in creating a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs?

Some challenges that may arise in creating a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs include securing sufficient funding and resources, attracting and retaining top talent in a competitive job market, and balancing short-term and long-term research goals. Additionally, the increasingly fast pace of technological advancements and the need for quick returns on investment may also pose challenges for a modern-day equivalent to Bell Labs.