Searching for a particular kind of convergent sequence

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter A-ManESL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergent Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
A-ManESL
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I want an example of a complex sequence [tex](x_n)[/tex] which converges to 0 but is not in ℓ[tex]^p[/tex], for [tex]p\ge 1[/tex] i.e. the series [tex]\sum |x_n|^p[/tex] is never convergent for any [tex]p\ge 1[/tex]. Can someone provide an example please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect 1/log(n+1) will work, but I haven't checked divergence for p > 1.

*EDIT* I'm fairly certain it works. I'll let you figure out the estimates needed to demonstrate divergence (hint: you don't need obscure series tests).
 
Last edited:
I am having trouble establishing the divergence. Can you be more explicit? Thanks.
 
For divergence I would guess (1/log(n))p > 1/n for sufficiently large n.