Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Searching for best ferromagetic cathode for aluminum anode battery

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    This is a list of ferromagnetic materials that I've found on Wikipedia's category ferromagnetic materials page.

I was wondering which of these materials would make possibly great cathodes for aluminum anode in the application of creating an sulfuric solution based acid battery. The battery I want to design has centrifugal cells and I want to empirically test out this internal affect that it may have within the battery (similar to flywheel battery technology with the added chemical reaction effect as well).

I was thinking of a cobalt oxide but it's been a while since I dealt with a similar problem to this one so I can't souly trust my own intuition on this one. Any possible guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Here is the list of the possible cathode candidates that I'm searching for
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ferromagnetic_materials

A
    B
    C
    D
    F
    G
    H
    I
    M
    N
    P
    R
    S
    Y

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that the aluminum anode that I want to use is an alloy of aluminum, specifically classified as 6101.
    http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/6101.asp
    Chemistry Data : [top]
    Aluminum................Balance

Boron......................0.06 max

Chromium...............0.03 max

Copper....................0.1 max

Iron..........................0.5 max

Magnesium..............0.35 - 0.7

Manganese..............0.03 max
    Remainder Each......0.03 max
    Remainder Total......0.1 max

Silicon.....................0.3 - 0.7

Zinc.........................0.1 max

And the cobalt wont be an oxide because it is a cathode, so a cobalt oxide I know wouldn't help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook