Searching Neutralino Decay in the Sun w/ Amanda

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sam_021
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Decay Sun The sun
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sam_021
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Hi
so I am doing a presenation, on the indirect search for the neutralino from the sun at amanda
In short:
neutralinos are graviationally captured and settle int he sun.. they decay to produce neutrinos.. we detect the neutrinos at the amanda detector through muon productionSo what I am confused about is basically the following:
1) in the detection if u look at papers like the following slide show -page 8
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...zFvLRG&sig=AHIEtbS-vyEGTsEvTGs7SRevo8kNyg1rTQ
it goes on about events and live time.. so am i right in saying the live time is how long detector is running and the number of events is the number of muon productions (as in any muon be it from the neutralino or cosmic rays) .. I don't think I am right but I am not sure ?

2) on the same page as above ..it talks about simulations, so these different simulations are to obtain theoretical results, decrease background and etc right ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


yes :D live tiime is the time the detctor is on till :D