1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second Bachelors, Physics this time GPA/GPA Split

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    Some years ago, I graduated with a degree in Political Science. My grades were...nothing special, C+ to B- average.

How badly would that affect my chances at graduate school if I came back and just tore through the Physics curriculum with a 3.7-4.0 GPA the second time around? Assume that I was in the 95th percentile in both the subject and general GREs.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It depends on the school. Some places calculate a total GPA over all post secondary work. Others focus on your more recent work. Generally speaking though, if you do well in a second degree that's directly related to the area of grad study you should be able to be in somewhere.

4. May 14, 2014 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I were you, I'd put more time and energy into worrying if I could get such high GPA's first. Considering that you did a mediocre job with your first degree, I don't know where you got the idea that you can "tore through" a physics degree curriculum.

Some time, there is a lot to be said about putting the cart before the horse.

Zz.

5. May 14, 2014 #4

Physics_UG

Gold Member

If your can manage a 3.7-4.0 gpa and 95th %ile results on the physics GRE AND get good letters of rec and research experience your chances of grad school are very good. If you achieve this then your previous results in your Poli Sci degree will matter very little.

Also, I agree with ZapperZ. Don't put the cart before the horse. A physics program is much different from a poli sci program.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  6. May 14, 2014 #5
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It's basically what I thought it would be, but it's always nice to get a second and third opinion.

I never knew John Madden had a physics degree!

Very true. Very very true. But even though mastering physics is rewarding enough on it's own, it makes sense to be reasonably assured that the cart isn't going to collapse before spending a good chunk of money and time on acquiring the horse.

7. May 15, 2014 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And you think that the assumption that you can tear through a physics curriculum after your performance in the polysci degree is "reasonable"? I am assuring you that of all the things you mentioned in your post, this the LEAST reasonable and the least realistic scenario.

Zz.

8. May 15, 2014 #7
    And I know that you know I know.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook