Second Bachelors, Physics this time GPA/GPA Split

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's previous degree in Political Science with average grades and their chances at graduate school if they were to excel in a second degree in Physics. The overall consensus was that if the speaker could achieve a high GPA and good scores on the GRE, their chances at graduate school would be good despite their previous degree. However, it was advised not to plan for a successful second degree without putting in the necessary effort and hard work first.
TimGee250
Some years ago, I graduated with a degree in Political Science. My grades were...nothing special, C+ to B- average.

How badly would that affect my chances at graduate school if I came back and just tore through the Physics curriculum with a 3.7-4.0 GPA the second time around? Assume that I was in the 95th percentile in both the subject and general GREs.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school. Some places calculate a total GPA over all post secondary work. Others focus on your more recent work. Generally speaking though, if you do well in a second degree that's directly related to the area of grad study you should be able to be in somewhere.

TimGee250 said:
Some years ago, I graduated with a degree in Political Science. My grades were...nothing special, C+ to B- average.

How badly would that affect my chances at graduate school if I came back and just tore through the Physics curriculum with a 3.7-4.0 GPA the second time around? Assume that I was in the 95th percentile in both the subject and general GREs.

If I were you, I'd put more time and energy into worrying if I could get such high GPA's first. Considering that you did a mediocre job with your first degree, I don't know where you got the idea that you can "tore through" a physics degree curriculum.

Some time, there is a lot to be said about putting the cart before the horse.

Zz.

If your can manage a 3.7-4.0 gpa and 95th %ile results on the physics GRE AND get good letters of rec and research experience your chances of grad school are very good. If you achieve this then your previous results in your Poli Sci degree will matter very little.

Also, I agree with ZapperZ. Don't put the cart before the horse. A physics program is much different from a poli sci program.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It's basically what I thought it would be, but it's always nice to get a second and third opinion.

ZapperZ said:
If I were you, I'd put more time and energy into worrying if I could get such high GPA's first.

I never knew John Madden had a physics degree!

ZapperZ said:
Some time, there is a lot to be said about putting the cart before the horse.

Very true. Very very true. But even though mastering physics is rewarding enough on it's own, it makes sense to be reasonably assured that the cart isn't going to collapse before spending a good chunk of money and time on acquiring the horse.

TimGee250 said:
Very true. Very very true. But even though mastering physics is rewarding enough on it's own, it makes sense to be reasonably assured that the cart isn't going to collapse before spending a good chunk of money and time on acquiring the horse.

And you think that the assumption that you can tear through a physics curriculum after your performance in the polysci degree is "reasonable"? I am assuring you that of all the things you mentioned in your post, this the LEAST reasonable and the least realistic scenario.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I am assuring you that of all the things you mentioned in your post, this the LEAST reasonable and the least realistic scenario.

And I know that you know I know.

1. What is a "Second Bachelors" degree?

A "Second Bachelors" degree refers to obtaining a Bachelor's degree in a different field of study than the one in which a person already holds a Bachelor's degree. It is also known as a "second degree" or "double major".

2. Can I pursue a Second Bachelors degree in Physics if I already have a degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Second Bachelors degree in Physics even if you have a degree in a different field. However, admission requirements and credit transfer policies may vary among universities, so it is important to research and consult with advisors before applying.

3. What is the GPA/GPA split requirement for a Second Bachelors degree in Physics?

The GPA/GPA split requirement for a Second Bachelors degree in Physics refers to the minimum cumulative GPA (Grade Point Average) and GPA in Physics courses that are required for admission into the program. The specific requirements may vary among universities.

4. Can I use my previous degree's GPA to meet the GPA/GPA split requirement?

It depends on the university's policies. Some universities may allow you to use your previous degree's GPA to meet the GPA/GPA split requirement, while others may require you to have a specific GPA in Physics courses. It is best to check with the university for their specific requirements.

5. Will my previous degree affect my chances of being admitted into a Second Bachelors program in Physics?

Your previous degree may or may not affect your chances of being admitted into a Second Bachelors program in Physics. It ultimately depends on the university's admission policies and the competitiveness of the program. It is important to have a strong academic background and relevant coursework in order to increase your chances of being admitted.