Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second derivative of an integral

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    Good day,

I don't understand the following:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\int_{0}^{t}(t-\epsilon )\phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon=\phi''(t)[/tex]

All I know is:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\int_{0}^{t}(t-\epsilon )\phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon=\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\int_{0}^{t}t \cdot \phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon-\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\int_{0}^{t}\epsilon \cdot \phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon[/tex]

Is it allowed to say:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\int_{0}^{t}t \cdot \phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon=\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\cdot t\int_{0}^{t}\phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon[/tex]?

And if so, why is this correct? This is only correct when [tex]t\neq f(\epsilon )[/tex], right? But I am not sure whether this is the case...

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

The result (if correct; I haven't checked) will follow from the Liebniz rule:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_{\alpha(t)}^{\beta(t)} du~f(u,t) = \int_{\alpha(t)}^{\beta(t)}du~ \frac{\partial}{\partial t}f(u,t) + f(t,t)\frac{d\beta}{dt} - f(t,t)\frac{d\alpha}{dt}[/tex]

Then you have to do the derivative again, so you would have to use the Liebniz rule on the integral term again.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    I think it's

[tex]\frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}\int_{0}^{t}(t-\epsilon )\phi (\epsilon)d\epsilon=\phi(t)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook