Second derivatives and local max/min

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(x,y)= xy+(1/x)+(1/y) and its partial derivatives. It is determined that the coordinates x and y are equal to 0 or 1, but any point with y=0 is not in the domain of the function. The conversation also touches on the second-derivative test, where it is noted that if D>0 and fxx<0, it is a local max. However, if only fyy<0 is given, it can still be concluded that it is a local max.
2RIP
If f(x,y)= xy+(1/x)+(1/y)

I find that fx= y-(1/x2)=0 and fy=x-(1/y2)=0.

Solving for coordinates x and y by substituting the equations, I find that y=0 or 1. However, if i try to solve for x-coordinates with y=0, I get an infinity. So does that mean I ignore the possibility of y=0?

Another question is with second-derivative test where D=fxx*fyy-fxy2.

I know that if D>0 and fxx<0, then it is a local max. But what if I was told D>0 and given only fyy<0 and was to determine if it's a local max or min. Could I make the same argument with only fyy<0 that it is a local max?Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
2RIP said:
If f(x,y)= xy+(1/x)+(1/y)

I find that fx= y-(1/x2)=0 and fy=x-(1/y2)=0.

Solving for coordinates x and y by substituting the equations, I find that y=0 or 1. However, if i try to solve for x-coordinates with y=0, I get an infinity. So does that mean I ignore the possibility of y=0?
Yes. Any (x,y) point with y= 0 is not in the domain of the function.

Another question is with second-derivative test where D=fxx*fyy-fxy2.

I know that if D>0 and fxx<0, then it is a local max. But what if I was told D>0 and given only fyy<0 and was to determine if it's a local max or min. Could I make the same argument with only fyy<0 that it is a local max?
-fxy2 is always negative. In order that D be positive it is necessary that fxxfyy be positive (and greater than fxy2). That means that fxx and fyy must have the same sign. Knowing that fyy< 0 immediately tells you that fxx< 0.

Thanks a lot

Oh right. Thanks for clearing that up HallsofIvy :smile:

1. What is a second derivative?

A second derivative is the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. In other words, it is the derivative of the derivative of a function.

2. How do you find the second derivative of a function?

To find the second derivative of a function, you first find the derivative of the function using the rules of differentiation. Then, you take the derivative of that derivative to get the second derivative.

3. What is the significance of the second derivative in calculus?

The second derivative helps us determine the concavity of a function and the location of local maxima and minima. It also helps us analyze the behavior of a function, such as whether it is increasing or decreasing at a specific point.

4. What is a local maximum and minimum?

A local maximum is the highest point on a curve in a specific interval, while a local minimum is the lowest point on a curve in a specific interval. These points represent the peak or valley of a function within a certain range.

5. How do you use second derivatives to find local maxima and minima?

To find local maxima and minima using second derivatives, you first find the critical points of the function by setting the first derivative equal to zero. Then, you use the second derivative test to determine if these points are local maxima or minima. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a local minimum, and if it is negative, the point is a local maximum.