Maximization of a Multivariable Function

• Thread starter The Head
  • Start date

Homework Statement:

See Picture Attached

Relevant Equations:

fx=0, fy=0, fz=0
The beginning is straight forward and I found f=x^2-2yz, which satisfies grad(f)=F. Then I calculated W= f(x,y,z)-f(0,1,1) since it's conservative.

I get stuck when trying to find the max and mins. Given grad(f)=0 at extrema, we can see (0,0,0) is a point. On the boundary, I have to parameterize:
x=sqrt(2)cos(u)sin(v)
y=sqrt(2)sin(u)sin(v)
z=2cos(v)

Then I'm not exactly sure where to go. I feel like the options are either:
1) Substitute my parameters into f=x^2-2yz, and take the derivative. But then I'm not sure what to do because I'm used to just having one variable/parameter now.
2) Create the second partial derivative matrix (e.g., fxx, fxy, fxz in column one, fyx, fyy, fyz in column two, and fzx, fzy, fzz in column three. But I get a weird result there, with fxx>0, but fxx*fyy- fxy*fyx=0.

I usually at this point substitute the parameters and then take the derivative (with respect to a single parameter like t) and set equal to zero. Then I find all of the t's that work. I'm just not sure how to proceed here.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
grad(f)=0 at extrema, we can see (0,0,0) is a point
But not necessarily a max or min?
Substitute my parameters into f=x^2-2yz, and take the derivative.
Sounds like a good idea. What do you get?

Likes The Head
But not necessarily a max or min?

Sounds like a good idea. What do you get?
Thanks for the guidance.

For (0,0,0), I made the second partial derivatives matrix and substituted, and obviously get an R^3 zero matrix. This just means this one is indeterminate?

Also, I went ahead and parameterized and derived, but I want to make sure that my logic is correct.
f-x^2-2yz= 2*(cosu)^2 * (sinu)^2 - 4sqrt(2)*sinu*sinv*cosv

Usually there is just one parameter at this point, but with two, I assume I just find df/du and df/dv and solve a system?
So df/du= -4cosu*sinu*(sinv)^2 - 4sqrt(2)cosu*sinv*cosv = 0
Simplifying gives me: (4sinv)(cosu)(sinu*sinv+sqrt(2)*cosv)=0
So either sinv=0, cosu=0, or sinu=-sqrt(2)*cotv

Then do the same for df/dv and substitute to solve the system, right?

Really appreciate the help

Also, the weird thing that happens when I do this is I get a lot of undefined values. For example, I'll get sin(v)=0, which implies v=0. So then when I substitute back in to the equation sin(u)=-sqrt(2)*cot(v), I get an error, since cot(0) is undefined. So while the z-coordinate is defined, x and y are not, so I have a hard time getting a value for x^2-2yz. Do I just ignore these points? Or perhaps I've gone about this wrong (because I think my computations are correct).

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Then do the same for df/dv and substitute to solve the system, right?
Yes. Looks good so far.
which implies v=0. So then when I substitute back in to the equation sin(u)=-sqrt(2)*cot(v), I get an error
As you wrote
So either sinv=0, cosu=0, or sinu=-sqrt(2)*cotv
Only one of these need be true. If sin v=0 there is no equation sin(u)=-sqrt(2)*cot(v).

Likes The Head
Yes. Looks good so far.

As you wrote

Only one of these need be true. If sin v=0 there is no equation sin(u)=-sqrt(2)*cot(v).
Thanks so much for your reply. So all the undefined points are just ignored, and I should only consider the ones that have discrete values for u and v?

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thanks so much for your reply. So all the undefined points are just ignored, and I should only consider the ones that have discrete values for u and v?
From the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}## equation you have three possibilities for solutions. But there is also the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial v}## equation. Which of the three are consistent with one or more of the solutions of the second equation?

Likes The Head
From the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}## equation you have three possibilities for solutions. But there is also the ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial v}## equation. Which of the three are consistent with one or more of the solutions of the second equation?
Thanks, this makes more sense. I got cos(u)=0, sin(v)=0, sinu=-sqrt(2)*cot(v) from the df/du equation. Then for df/dv I get cot(v)=0, cos(v)=1

-The cot(v)=0 is promising, because that works for v=pi/2, 3pi/2. I sub back in to then find sin(u)=0, so u= 0, pi.
-Similarly, cos(u)=0 gives u= pi/2, 3pi/2, which means cot(v)=+/- 1/sqrt(2), which yields two solutions.

The others all seem to lead to undefined values when I use the sin(u)=-sqrt(2)*cot(v) equation, so I will exclude those.

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thanks, this makes more sense. I got cos(u)=0, sin(v)=0, sinu=-sqrt(2)*cot(v) from the df/du equation. Then for df/dv I get cot(v)=0, cos(v)=1

-The cot(v)=0 is promising, because that works for v=pi/2, 3pi/2. I sub back in to then find sin(u)=0, so u= 0, pi.
-Similarly, cos(u)=0 gives u= pi/2, 3pi/2, which means cot(v)=+/- 1/sqrt(2), which yields two solutions.

The others all seem to lead to undefined values when I use the sin(u)=-sqrt(2)*cot(v) equation, so I will exclude those.
From the df/dv equation I get ##\tan(2v)\cos^2(u)=2\sqrt 2\sin(u)##. Whence if cos (u)=0 then tan(2v) is infinite, or if sin (v)=0 then sin(u)=0.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Around the point (0,0,0), consider what happens if you keep x=0 and let y and z vary. The term -2yz can be either positive or negative, depending on which way you change the variables. What does that tell you?

Around the point (0,0,0), consider what happens if you keep x=0 and let y and z vary. The term -2yz can be either positive or negative, depending on which way you change the variables. What does that tell you?
The -2yz term could be positive or negative, depending on which way you go in the y- and z-directions. Which intuitively feels like a saddle point, but I could be wrong there.

From the df/dv equation I get tan⁡(2v)cos2⁡(u)=22sin⁡(u). Whence if cos (u)=0 then tan(2v) is infinite, or if sin (v)=0 then sin(u)=0.
Thanks, I will try to look it over. I was pretty careful, but evidently made an error along the way. Perhaps I exchanged a u with a v somewhere. I don't think I could spot the double angle identity, but I'll work through solving the df/du equation again and check my substitutions. Thanks for your help along the way! Conceptually at this point it makes much more sense, which is what I'm going for.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The -2yz term could be positive or negative, depending on which way you go in the y- and z-directions. Which intuitively feels like a saddle point, but I could be wrong there.
I think you've got it. Suppose you go in the y=z direction. Then suppose you go in the y=-z direction.

Likes The Head