Second Quantization-Kinetic operator

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operator
In summary, the sum ##\sum_a |i \rangle_a \langle j|_a## is equal to the number operator, and the sum ##\sum_a |0 \rangle_a \langle 0|_a## is equal to unity.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I am feeling a little stupid tonight... So let me build the problem...
For a single particle operator [itex]O[/itex], we have in the basis [itex] |i> [/itex] we have that:
[itex] O= \sum_{ij} o_{ij} |i><j| [/itex] with [itex]o_{ij}=<i|O|j>[/itex]
Then for N particles we have that:
[itex] T=\sum_{a}O_{a}= \sum_{ij} o_{ij} \sum_{a} |i>_{a}<j|_{a} [/itex] with [itex]a=1,2...,N[/itex]

How can we write this afterwards (for bosons) in respect to the creation and annihilation operators as:
[itex]T= \sum_{ij} o_{ij} c_{i}^{t} c_{j} [/itex]

From what I suspect, [itex]\sum_{a} |i>_{a}<j|_{a}[/itex] must be equal to the number operator... But for some reason I'm unable to see it...Also I tried taking this:
[itex] O= \sum_{ij} o_{ij} |i><j| [/itex]
[itex] O= \sum_{ij} o_{ij} c_{i}^{t}|0><0|c_{j} [/itex]
And then summing over the particles:
[itex] O= \sum_{ij} o_{ij} c_{i}^{t}c_{j} \sum_{a}|0>_{a}<0|_{a} [/itex]
but I see no reason why the sum must be equal to unity [itex] \sum_{a}|0>_{a}<0|_{a} =1 [/itex]

Please give hints, not answers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a ##N##-particle operator ##O## as a sum of one-particle operators
$$
O = \sum_{i=1}^{N} O_i
$$
First assume that you can write it as
$$
O = \sum_{\alpha, \beta} \langle \alpha | O_1 | \beta \rangle c_\alpha^\dagger c_\beta
$$
If you change the basis, you can write
$$
O' = \sum_{\gamma, \delta} \langle \gamma | O_1 | \delta \rangle b_\gamma^\dagger b_\delta
$$
The creation and annihiliation operators satisfy the linear transformations
$$
\begin{align}
b_\gamma^\dagger &= \sum_{\alpha} c_\alpha^\dagger \langle \alpha | \gamma \rangle \\
b_\gamma &= \sum_{\alpha} \langle \gamma | \alpha \rangle c_\alpha
\end{align}
$$
Therefore,
$$
\begin{align}
O' &= \sum_{\gamma, \delta} \sum_{\alpha, \beta} c_\alpha^\dagger \langle \alpha | \gamma \rangle \langle \gamma | O_1 | \delta \rangle \langle \delta | \beta \rangle c_\beta \\
&= \sum_{\alpha, \beta} \langle \alpha | O_1 | \beta \rangle c_\alpha^\dagger c_\beta \\
&= O
\end{align}
$$
This means that the assumed representation of ##O## is independent of the basis. If you choose a basis ##| \gamma \rangle## that diagonalizes ##O_1##, then
$$
O = \sum_\gamma o_\gamma b_\gamma^\dagger b_\gamma
$$
where ##o_\gamma## is the eigenvalue associated with the ket ##| \gamma \rangle##, which is what we expected from the first formula above. Therefore, the assumption for the form of ##O## in any basis was correct.

1. What is second quantization?

Second quantization is a mathematical framework used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with multiple particles. It involves representing the state of a system as a field of creation and annihilation operators, rather than individual particle states.

2. What is the kinetic operator in second quantization?

The kinetic operator in second quantization is a mathematical operator that describes the motion of particles in a system. It is represented as the sum of the individual kinetic energy operators for each particle in the system.

3. How is the kinetic operator defined in second quantization?

In second quantization, the kinetic operator is defined as the sum of the individual kinetic energy operators for each particle in the system. It is represented using the field of creation and annihilation operators, and takes into account the momentum and position of each particle.

4. What is the significance of the kinetic operator in second quantization?

The kinetic operator is an important element in the mathematical framework of second quantization, as it allows for the description of the motion and dynamics of particles in a system. It is also used in calculations to determine the energy levels and behavior of particles in quantum systems.

5. How does second quantization differ from first quantization?

First quantization involves describing the state of a system using individual particle states and wave functions. In contrast, second quantization represents the state of a system as a field of creation and annihilation operators, and is used to describe systems with multiple particles. It also takes into account the symmetries and interactions between particles in a system.