Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Secrets, declassified or otherwise

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    What are some of governments' most fascinating secrets that have been revealed to the public?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2006 #2
    Off top of my head, I say it is the lust for 16 years old.

4. Oct 23, 2006 #3
    hahah oh wow

5. Oct 23, 2006 #4
    WW2 code breaking both the nazi machine and japan normal code
    in desiding major battles
    hoovers FBI spying on people who were NOT a goverment threat

but far too many SNAFUs are covered up by stamping them top secret
    a process that should be treason but saddly is normal procedure

6. Oct 23, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bletchley Park

7. Oct 23, 2006 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stealth.
    Countermeasures to defeat stealth.
    How to defeat the countermeasures to stealth.
    Aurora [or whatever it really is].

Reagan's strategy to bankrupt the Soviets by hyping SDI.

8. Oct 23, 2006 #7
    Coupled with Saudi Arabia's agreeing to pump excess oil, in order to keep prices low, to restrict Soviet oil revenues. As well as the funding and supporting of Osama bin Laden and others fighting the Soviets in Afghanistan.

http://www.naturalhub.com/slweb/fad...ine.htm#2005_-_january_Iranian_gas_for_Israel

It is the covert overthrow of governments hostile to American business interests, as opposed to American security interests that I find to be the most disturbing

9. Oct 25, 2006 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Corona satellite program. A fascinating history, coupled with a bizarre and spectacular method of recovering satellite imagery - the film canisters were ejected from satellites to re-enter the atmosphere and planes would snatch the falling cannisters out of mid-air. Amazingly, they had a nearly perfect record for recovering the canisters. Just one of those jobs where I'm sure the pilots cursed the secrecy of the program - how do you make your living snatching objects falling from outer space and not brag about it?

Actually, the military's entire space history is pretty fascinating. I read an article on 'stealth' aircraft carriers once. Obviously, there's no such thing as a stealth aircraft carrier, but the article talked about the tactics the Navy uses to obscure the location of its aircraft carriers and how the game has evolved to a whole new level with the advent of reconnaissance satellites.

10. Oct 25, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice pic here (even if I have to say it myself):
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1042548&postcount=138

11. Oct 26, 2006 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There could be stealth aircraft carriers if the Navy wasn't so dogmatic/beaurocratic. Ben Rich's book "Skunk Works" (he was the director) discusses the development of stealth and talks about the stealth ship ideas. There are stealth components on newer ships (such as the Arleigh Burke's sloped, diamond-shaped mast), but it is possible to make ships - even aircraft carriers - appear no bigger than lifeboats to radar. The navy simply isn't interested.

Anyway, the development of stealth is fascinating and I highly recommend that book. It also talks about the U-2 and SR-71.

edit: actually, the navy is working on some real stealth ship designs: http://www.lowobservable.com/Ships.htm
    They're only a generation overdue. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  12. Oct 26, 2006 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worked on a stealth boat for a navy, [edit] so I know that they are already out there.

13. Oct 26, 2006 #12
    Anything that hasn't been declassified would be pretty much specualtion, unless the poster was there and is willing to talk about it.

During the early years of the cold war the military had some radical ideas about weapons delivery systems, mostly aircraft, that never went beyond the experimental stage.

When I say radical, I mean aircraft like nuclear powered bombers. These were to be replacemnts for the B 52, which is still flying 50 years later.:rolleyes:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-70.htm

14. Nov 10, 2006 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?