See How Andromeda Would Look if It Were Brighter

• I
  • Thread starter George K
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a team of scientists used an innovative technique to create an image of how the Andromeda galaxy would appear if it were significantly brighter. The resulting image reveals the intricate details of Andromeda's spiral arms and the presence of a massive black hole at its center. This new information provides valuable insights into the evolution and structure of our neighboring galaxy.
George K
Hi everyone. The next link shows how the Andromeda should look like (from the Earth's surface) if its stars were much more brighter than they are (or if we could have a super-vision).
http://www.iflscience.com/space/what-andromeda-would-look-night-if-it-were-brighter
It seems so amazing as I couldn't even imagine how close the Andromeda is to us.
However, I'd like to verify this info (as I don't know the credibility of this site).
What's your opinion? Do you agree with this image?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It looks reasonable to me, but I don't know if this an 'artists impression', or has somebody processed a real photo with the pixel brightness exaggerated,
Either way it's art rather than actual science, I like it though, and I wouldn't say it's misleading

This seems reasonable to me. The Moon's actual image is a lot smaller than image that most of us have in our mind's eye. The full moon only subtends about 1/2 of a degree, and Andromeda is a few degrees in image size.

Are you familiar with the two stars (separated by 5 1/2 degrees) in the Big Dipper that point to the North Star? On moonless nights I sometimes ask friends "How many full moons will fit between those two stars?" A typical response is "about four", which isn't close to the correct answer, "eleven." When we can't see the Moon, we think the Moon is bigger than it actually is.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
rootone said:
It looks reasonable to me, but I don't know if this an 'artists impression', or has somebody processed a real photo with the pixel brightness exaggerated,
Either way it's art rather than actual science, I like it though, and I wouldn't say it's misleading
If you read the text you'll see that the artist took a typical image of Andromeda and added it to the original photo, but in an appropriate scale (i.e. 3 times wider than the moon is).

Yes, I discovered that after my previous post, it seems to be a pretty good idea for a way of doing this image with fair accuracy.

rootone said:
It looks reasonable to me, but I don't know if this an 'artists impression'

a complete artists impression of the galaxy ... it looks nothing like that through a scope

davenn said:
a complete artists impression of the galaxy ... it looks nothing like that through a scope
Yes, it looks nothing like that through a scope with your eyes, but it looks like a photo to me.

russ_watters said:
Yes, it looks nothing like that through a scope with your eyes, but it looks like a photo to me.
I think that the artist used this photo:
http://www.universetoday.com/30289/andromeda-galaxy/
This photo is just flipped, rotated and scaled. (I can't find how this Andromeda's photo has been produced but it seems to be a combination of different captures through a telescope, as the several "circles of views" depict.)

1. How was the image of Andromeda created?

The image of Andromeda was created using data from the Panoramic Survey Telescope and Rapid Response System (Pan-STARRS) and the Hubble Space Telescope. The brightness of the galaxy was increased in the image to show how it would look if it were brighter.

2. What is the purpose of creating this image?

The purpose of creating this image is to give viewers a better understanding of the structure and scale of the Andromeda galaxy. By increasing its brightness, we can see more detail and features that may not be visible in its natural state.

3. Is the image an accurate representation of how Andromeda would actually look?

No, the image is not an exact representation of how Andromeda would look if it were brighter. The brightness of a galaxy is dependent on many factors, including distance, age, and composition. This image is an artistic interpretation based on scientific data.

4. What can we learn from this image of Andromeda?

This image allows us to visualize the size and structure of Andromeda in a way that is not possible with our naked eye. It also gives us a glimpse into the potential beauty and complexity of other galaxies in our universe.

5. Can we manipulate the brightness of other galaxies in the same way?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate the brightness of other galaxies using similar techniques. However, the resulting image may not accurately reflect the true appearance of the galaxy, as brightness is just one factor in its overall appearance.