Seeking a reasonable mathematical explanation to a simple mathematical conundrum

In summary: Multiply both sides of the equation by 10 and you obtain 10x = 9.9... (tending towards infinity).Since 10x is bigger than 9.9..., 10x "knocks itself out" and 9x = 0.Subtract the latter from the former and since the ".9..." tending towards infinity knock themselves out, you have 9x = 9 (10x-x = 9.9...-0.9...), therefore x = 1.This is true, but x started off at x=.9 tending towards infinity, not x = 1.Since multiplication is a series of additions and substraction being a negative addition, the process of multiplying
cheenusj
Hi everyone,

I came upon a simple mathematical conundrum a few decades ago that has irked me for a while now and for which I don't have a reasonable mathematical explanation.

The only reasonable "explanation" I currently have is that 'certain mysterious things happen when tending towards infinity', whether infinitely big or infinitesimally small, say for example triangle angles summing to more than 180 degrees in infinitely large non-Euclidean triangles.

The problem is just one equation and I am hoping you have either heard of this "problem" or have a reasonable or better explanation than "mysterious things happen towards infinity".

Say, x = 0.9... (tending towards infinite, i.e. I don't have the "bar" to go on top of the "9" for mathematical notation).

Multiply both sides of the equation by 10 and you obtain 10x = 9.9... (tending towards infinity).

Subtract the latter from the former and since the ".9..." tending towards infinity knock themselves out, you have 9x = 9 (10x-x = 9.9...-0.9...), therefore x = 1.

However, "x" started off at x=.9 tending towards infinity, not x = 1.

Since multiplication is a series of additions and substraction being a negative addition, the process of multiplying something out, then doing a substraction and then simplifying it should always leave everything as it first started, without changing anything, i.e. you should end up with what you started with.

Taking a set of 'simpler' examples, this is easily observable and the above example seems "idiotic" (pointless), because the mathematical operators used will always result in ending with the same x-value that one started off with.

I also seem to find a "pedestrian" explanation that seems to illustrate the head-scratcher that this is for me.
One-ninth is 0.1 tending towards infinity, i.e. 1s going on forever.
Two-ninths is 2 times one-ninth, therefore I can easily derive that each "1 digit" behind the decimal point can be multiplied by 2. Therefore, two-ninths is 0.2 tending towards infinity.
I can keep incrementing and this is always correct until eight-ninths which is once again 0.8... (tending towards infinity). But then what is nine-ninths? Obviously it's "one", but if I used the logic above, one could easily argue that each 1-digit after the decimal is multiplied by 9, resulting in 0.9 tending towards infinity, which is wrong.

Since this "issue" has been bugging me for a while and I don't have any other contcts in academia or the field of mathematics, I was wondering what explanation and what "mistake" is held in the logic of the above "equation" and operations?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Cheenu
London, U.K.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
9 * 1/9 = 1. If we have 0.999... the number 0.000...1 can be added to 0.999... to obtain 1. What happens to 0.000...1 as the number of places between the 1 and the decimal point increases without bound? One could say that decimal expansions of rational numbers sometimes leave something to be desired. :eek:

cheenusj said:
However, "x" started off at x=.9 tending towards infinity, not x = 1.
Yes, but isn't that what you were trying to prove? You wouldn't have achieved anything if you ended up with $x= 0. \overline{9} $.

Since multiplication is a series of additions and substraction being a negative addition, the process of multiplying something out, then doing a substraction and then simplifying it should always leave everything as it first started, without changing anything, i.e. you should end up with what you started with.
I don't understand this logic. If I start with $x = \cos(0)$ is it wrong to end up with $x=1$?

Or let's say if I start with $x= \sqrt[3]{7+5\sqrt{2}}+ \sqrt[3]{7-5\sqrt{2}}$ is it wrong to end up with $x = 2$?

As long as you follow the rules of whatever field you're working with, you can end up with a different forms of the same thing.

cheenusj said:
Say, x = 0.9... (tending towards infinite, i.e. I don't have the "bar" to go on top of the "9" for mathematical notation).

0.999... does not mean "tending towards" anything It means there ARE infinitely many. It NEVER quits. Your entire dilemma stems from your assumption that it is somehow finite. It isn't.

I always find it useful to ask, If 0.9999... is NOT equal to 1, then how far from 1 is it? You cannot answer this question. Anything you pick, another can show how it is not that far.

1. What is a mathematical conundrum?

A mathematical conundrum is a problem or puzzle that involves using mathematical principles or techniques to find a solution. These problems often have a simple statement or question, but require a complex mathematical approach to solve.

2. What makes a mathematical explanation reasonable?

A reasonable mathematical explanation is one that is logical, accurate, and based on accepted mathematical principles and theories. It should also be clear and easy to understand, even for those without a strong mathematical background.

3. How can I approach solving a mathematical conundrum?

The best approach to solving a mathematical conundrum is to start by clearly understanding the problem and identifying any given information or constraints. Then, use appropriate mathematical techniques and theories to work towards a solution. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a mathematical conundrum?

If you are stuck on a mathematical conundrum, try taking a step back and approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also consult with other mathematicians or experts in the field for advice or guidance. Additionally, doing research and studying similar problems or techniques may provide new insights.

5. How can seeking a mathematical explanation benefit me?

Seeking a mathematical explanation can improve your critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as deepen your understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also help you develop a more logical and analytical mindset, which can be beneficial in many areas of life and work.