Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seeking advice on proper child rearing

1. Sep 28, 2007 #1
    there are a lot of intelligent people on this forum and i'm sure some of you have children. i've thought a lot of about child rearing ( not that i'm about to do it ) and the right way and the wrong way to do it. I'd be interested to hear how some of you have raised your children. Please let's not make this an opinion thread, I just want to know how people who have children have raised or are raising them. E.G. what kind of things you let them do, not do, authoritarian vs authoritative, drugs, sex, hw, etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I used my mother's philosophy about child rearing. Basically, if they are my child, they'd better be smart.

From the very beginning I made my children make their own decisions. Of course I set parameters. They chose their own clothing from the time they were able to convey a message. I didn't care if the top was orange and the bottom was green and they wore pink shoes with blue socks. It gave them a sense of empowerment even though it was a meaningless thing. It gave them the confidence to make decisions. I always had seasonally appropriate clothing in their closets, the out of season clothing stored away.

Same with eating. I would give a choice, for example chicken or hotdogs. Broccolli or spinach. My kids ended up favoring vegetables.

I never placed food on their plate and told them to eat it whether they liked it or not. I offered healthy choices and let them pick.

I also had no rules. But I made it clear that their choices had consequences that they would have to live with. As a result, they would ask my opinion a lot. They would observe the other children around them and see the stupid things they did and we would discuss how stupid those kids were and my kids didn't want to be like them. That sounds terrible, doesn't it? But the truth is they are out there, they're the reason hair dryers have tags warning not to use them under water.

As a result, my kids never smoked, or drank or did drugs, they never rebelled, or argued with me or did stupid things. Now that they are adults, they still consider me their best friend and we talk everyday.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    That's almost exactly what my mom did with my sister and I and that last paragraph describes how we am now.

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4
    "how we am" ? :rofl:

6. Sep 29, 2007 #5

Evo

English may not be their first language, you should see some of the gems I've posted due to editing that I had to go back and correct. Be nice.

7. Sep 29, 2007 #6
    No...we speak english. Lets just say i was being ironic?

8. Sep 29, 2007 #7

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you wanna know, I mean really wanna know, how we are raising our three children, well...
    http://www.theday.com/profiles/i_profile.aspx?re=81fed3e1-9ea2-45ad-8922-8bd5d12b158e
    My wife writes a regular column for our regional newspaper about parenting. The link is to the index of her articles. A good one to start with is the one about "play dates."

9. Sep 29, 2007 #8

Evo

10. Sep 29, 2007 #9
    I was a strict parent. I made one dinner with the only choice of, eat it or not, but its a long time till breakfast. Home work came first, then chores, and if both were done then they had play time. I had rules, and punnishments clearly layed out, and I have no guilt when a swat on the bottom was called for.
    My kids turned into wonderful adults, I'm very proud of them.

11. Sep 29, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This woman does a great impression of my mom!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Sep 30, 2007 #11
    lol that was great!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?