Seeking advice for mathematics books before GR

In summary, a physics undergraduate student is seeking advice on the best books to study General Relativity. They have narrowed down their options to "A first course in General Relativity" by Schutz and "Space time and Geometry" by Carroll, but are unsure if the latter is too advanced for an introductory level. They are also looking for recommendations on other textbooks that explain tensors in more detail and improve their mathematical skills. Other background courses they have completed include Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, ODEs, PDEs, and Classical Mechanics. Suggestions are made to study tensors through the first three chapters of Schutz's book and to also study differential geometry and differential forms. The conversation also includes suggestions for books on
PhysicsMajorLeo
Hi Everyone, I am a physics undergraduate students who intended to study General Relativity. I have planned to purchase or borrow one of the following books:

1.A first course in General Relativity by Schutz
2.Space time and Geometry by Carroll (I have heard that it is an advance textbook rather than an introductory textbook, is that true?)

I have been searching for maths skills that are required for studying General Relativity through the internet, and one of the suggestion is to study tensor through the first three chapter of the book by Schutz. Is this suggestion true? Or are there any others textbooks explain tensor in more details? As for the remaining mathematical skills, I have no idea where to start with. I would like to seek for advice on the appropriate mathematics book that would have strengthen by mathematical background to understand General Relativity in those introductory book, and the materials in the course. Thank you!

As for the Mathematics background, I have currently complete mathematics course including Calculus, Multivariable Caculus, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, ODE, PDE. For physics background, I have completed Classical Mechanics which include Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are the Schaum's Outlines on Vector Analysis and Tensor Analysis which should cover everything you need and then some.

Since you've covered so many courses already, tensors should be mostly notational to you except for the notions of curvature and the Frenet-Serret formulae.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenet–Serret_formulas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curvature_of_Riemannian_manifolds

Probably some book on differential geometry would be good too. I used an old one authored by McConnell published as a Dover book but I'm sure someone here knows a much better one.

Once you get past this stuff, you might also look as differential forms as well.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks for the advice, I have a better picture on what I should read before getting into General Relativity. However, I am a bit confused that whether I should go through the whole Introductory Differential Geometry, or I could just focus on applications of Riemannian Geometry?Thank you!

I'd recommend to get a good introductory book on GR. Usually these books cover the necessary differential geometry quite well. I like Landau, Lifshitz vol. 2 and Weinberg, Gravitation and Cosmology (1971) best. For the more modern approach via Cartan calculus Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler is fine.

Thank you for the advice!In fact,I have checked out that the cost for Gravitation and Cosmology by Weinberg from amazon is quite reasonable,which makes me a bit interested in purchasing this book。However,I would like to ask,when comparing the GR book by Schutz and that by Carroll,which one would be more suitable for introductory level and which one would have focus on developing basic mathematical skills?Thanks!

Thank you for the link!I think I would get a look on the link and also the book you suggested!:D

What are the best mathematics books to read before studying General Relativity?

There are many great mathematics books that can help prepare you for studying General Relativity. Some recommended titles include "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "Gravitation" by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler, and "An Introduction to Tensor Calculus, Relativity, and Cosmology" by Derek F. Lawden.

Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand General Relativity?

Yes, General Relativity is a complex and advanced topic in physics that requires a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It would be beneficial to have a thorough understanding of these subjects before diving into General Relativity.

Can I learn General Relativity without prior knowledge of advanced mathematics?

While it is possible to learn General Relativity without prior knowledge of advanced mathematics, it may be more challenging and time-consuming. It would be beneficial to have a basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra before attempting to study General Relativity.

Are there any online resources for learning mathematics before studying General Relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning mathematics before studying General Relativity. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer a variety of free courses and tutorials on calculus, linear algebra, and other advanced mathematical topics.

Are there any mathematics books specifically for studying General Relativity?

Yes, there are several mathematics books that are specifically geared towards understanding General Relativity. Some examples include "Mathematics for Physicists" by Philippe Dennery and Andre Krzywicki, "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V.I. Arnold, and "Introduction to Differential Geometry and General Relativity" by Stefan Waner and Steven T. Lovett.