Seeking advice on Self Study Curriculum

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of planning a physics curriculum and the different resources and strategies that can be used. The person suggests using video lectures from NPTEL and mentions specific courses on classical physics, quantum physics, electromagnetism, oscillations and waves, and special theory of relativity. They also advise sticking to more introductory books for now and seeking help when needed.
  • #1
Humanlimits
6
5
I'm usually entirely autonomous in planning out my curriculum (and have read much great advice here in aid); but my physics curriculum is proving more difficult to plan out than my math curriculum.

I was thinking as a start: Kleppner & Kolenkow Mechanics, Purcell Electricity and Magnetism, and AP French for Waves/Relativity; probably read along with the Feynman Lectures concurrently. I was wondering if after completely going through the aforementioned texts, if the Sommerfeld lectures on physics would be enough to make Landau & Lifshitz accessible.

There's also the angle I've read from a UChicago page suggesting if I'm proficient enough at math there's not much reason to read anything besides Goldstein and then Landau (for mechanics alone). Then of course there are those sort of physics for mathematicians books by people like Arnold and Spivak.

I enjoy reading a variety of books on a subject, and understand well the value of practice, but also want to make sure my time is spent wisely.

all advice is appreciated
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I will not give reference to books, but I will give reference to some very good video lectures. They are authentic, and are extremely good. All professors are either from IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology), IISc (Indian Institute of Science) or IISERs (Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research).

All lectures are coordinated by NPTEL (National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning).

Following are the list of some good lectures:

Classical Physics by Prof. V. Balakrishnan.

Quantum Physics (if you need it later) by V. Balakrishnan

Introductory Electromagnetism by Prof. Manoj Harbola

Oscillations and Waves by V. Balakrishnan

Special Theory of Relativity

The books that you've mentioned are also very good and the plan looks okay to me. Always keep Feynman lectures handy.
 
  • #3
Humanlimits said:
I was thinking as a start: Kleppner & Kolenkow Mechanics, Purcell Electricity and Magnetism, and AP French for Waves/Relativity; probably read along with the Feynman Lectures concurrently.

This sounds like a good plan. As I'm sure you've read at some point, K&K and Purcell are known for being challenging even though they're technically intro books, so I feel it's worth reiterating that you shouldn't get discouraged if you find yourself really struggling or sinking several hours into a problem. That is to be expected. The most important thing is to make sure you work all of the problems. Don't be afraid to post here for help when you're stuck.

Humanlimits said:
There's also the angle I've read from a UChicago page suggesting if I'm proficient enough at math there's not much reason to read anything besides Goldstein and then Landau (for mechanics alone). Then of course there are those sort of physics for mathematicians books by people like Arnold and Spivak.

Definitely stick to your first plan. These are graduate level books and shouldn't even be in question at this stage.
 
  • #4
Wrichik Basu said:
I will not give reference to books, but I will give reference to some very good video lectures. They are authentic, and are extremely good. All professors are either from IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology), IISc (Indian Institute of Science) or IISERs (Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research).

All lectures are coordinated by NPTEL (National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning).

Following are the list of some good lectures:

Classical Physics by Prof. V. Balakrishnan.

Quantum Physics (if you need it later) by V. Balakrishnan

Introductory Electromagnetism by Prof. Manoj Harbola

Oscillations and Waves by V. Balakrishnan

Special Theory of Relativity

The books that you've mentioned are also very good and the plan looks okay to me. Always keep Feynman lectures handy.

First link is broken.
 
  • #5
Buffu said:
First link is broken.
Sorry, it was a link from youtube.

Here is the link: http://nptel.ac.in/courses/122106027/

I also forgot to mention that the relativity lecture was by Prof. Shiva Prasad
 

Related to Seeking advice on Self Study Curriculum

1. What is self-study curriculum?

Self-study curriculum is a set of materials and resources designed for individuals to learn a subject or topic on their own, without the guidance of a teacher or instructor. It typically includes textbooks, workbooks, videos, and other interactive materials.

2. How do I choose the right self-study curriculum?

Choosing the right self-study curriculum depends on your learning style, goals, and interests. Consider what subjects or topics you want to learn, what type of materials you prefer, and what level of difficulty you are comfortable with. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from others who have used self-study curriculums.

3. Can I use self-study curriculum for any subject?

Yes, you can use self-study curriculum for a wide range of subjects, including math, science, language arts, history, and more. However, some subjects may be more challenging to learn on your own, so it is important to assess your learning style and goals before choosing a self-study curriculum.

4. How can I stay motivated while using a self-study curriculum?

Staying motivated while using a self-study curriculum can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Set specific goals for yourself, create a study schedule, and reward yourself for completing tasks. It can also be helpful to join online study groups or find a study partner for accountability and support.

5. Is self-study curriculum as effective as traditional classroom learning?

This depends on the individual and the subject being studied. Some people may find self-study curriculum more effective because they can work at their own pace and focus on specific areas of interest. However, others may benefit more from traditional classroom learning with a teacher or instructor. It is important to consider your learning style and goals when deciding which method is best for you.

Similar threads

  • Science and Math Textbooks
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Science and Math Textbooks
Replies
17
Views
2K
Replies
5
Views
2K
  • Science and Math Textbooks
Replies
20
Views
522
  • Science and Math Textbooks
Replies
7
Views
5K
  • Science and Math Textbooks
2
Replies
50
Views
4K
  • Science and Math Textbooks
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Science and Math Textbooks
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
16
Views
946
  • New Member Introductions
Replies
3
Views
183
Back
Top