Seeking advice to find a more fast paced diverse career

• Engineering
  • Thread starter donpacino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the speaker graduated with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering 3 years ago and has been working for a large defense contractor since then. They recently completed a master's degree in systems/controls engineering, and have experience in analog and fpga design as well as systems level controls work. However, they are not satisfied with their current job as most of the problems are already solved and there is little intellectual challenge. They are looking for a more fast-paced atmosphere where they can work on multiple projects and have more creative and intellectual challenges. They are seeking advice on how to find companies or positions that fit their interests and skills.
donpacino
Gold Member
I graduated with a bachelors degree in electrical engineering degree 3 years ago. Since them I have been working full time for a large defense contractor. I just this past year finished a masters degree in systems/controls engineering.

At my work I have a combination of experience in analog design (low and high power), fpga design, and some systems level controls work. I have been lucky enough to move between a few business areas in the short time i have been with the company. I enjoy the subject matter at my job, and the concept of the design. The problem is working for a large company many of the problems are already mostly solved. I got the opportunity to work on a new power supply a few months ago and I was very excited. In reality it was a redesign of an existing power supply. There was little to no architectural difference between the solution I was to make, and the former solution. The implementation required very little math or intellectual capability. It seems that this is the norm, and it makes sense from a business prospective.

The thing that really made me fall in love with engineering was the challenge. It was learning new things every week. My senior year of undergrad I designed a quadrotor UAV power supply, wrote flight code, and designing the control loops for a gps guidance system. While doing that, I was doing design work for an analog motor drive, and writing code for a maze navigating robot. There was always something new to do, something fun and exciting. Every task was a challenge. I don't get that in my job at all. Any math I have to do was already done 15 years ago. All I do is change the values in a spreadsheet. Sure I can say on a resume I re-designed a kalman filter, but in reality all I did was evaluate and barely modify an old one.

I want to find a job where I can restore my passion for engineering. I want to work on multiple projects that have nothing to do with each other. I want to meet with a customer to develop the filter they need for a sensor, design a power supply for someone else one week later, then a month after that write a control algorithm for a robotic arm, and then a month after that help someone implement a high level idea.

Where can I find a more fast paced atmosphere where I can ground up design on multiple projects. I'm also looking for more of an intellectual creative challenge.

I am looking for any sort of advice! How to find companies that do this sort of work. How to go about doing this sort of work. or just advice in general.

I will also begrudgingly accept advice regarding accepting that life is not fair and accepting not fully loving your job :)

Thank you for reading my novel

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahhh, Youth !

I worked for a utility and they're known for "Thou shalt not innovate" so I'm not in a position to point you toward a fast paced career.
Probably you need to start your own company, or work for a small one where they're not so set in their ways.

I also recommend this book
upload_2016-9-29_1-55-33.png

chapter on "Kitchen Work"
it's the dues we pay. When you become the "company wizard" you get all the challenging jobs . But it takes some years to get there.

old jim

Likes donpacino
donpacino said:
Since them I have been working full time for a large defense contractor.
You may be more suited for a small start-up.

Likes donpacino and TMFKAN64
if you want fast paced, switch to the research arm of your particular company or find a job at a small company. Large companies do not move fast in any direction at all.

Last edited:
Likes donpacino
As the previous posts suggest, look for a small start up company that is doing something that intrigues you, and as jim suggested avoid government like the plague, I contracted/sold 2 years of my life to our local power utility, terrible...

Likes donpacino
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at startups for the better part of a year. so far 100% of the startups I have contacted or interviewed with have gone under before or during offers/negotiations. Maybe I should just keep trying

donpacino said:
so far 100% of the startups I have contacted or interviewed with have gone under before or during offers/negotiations.
Well, that is definitely fast paced.

donpacino said:
100% of the startups I have contacted or interviewed with have gone under before or during offers/negotiations.

Gee, you have a gift !
They only go broke for me after i buy stock .

1. What are the benefits of seeking advice to find a more fast paced diverse career?

Seeking advice can provide valuable insights and perspectives from experienced professionals in various industries. It can also help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, as well as potential career paths that align with your interests and goals.

2. How can I find the right people to seek advice from?

Start by networking within your current circles, such as colleagues, friends, and family. You can also reach out to alumni from your university or professionals in your desired field through LinkedIn or networking events. Additionally, career coaches and mentors can provide valuable guidance.

3. What questions should I ask when seeking advice?

Some questions you can ask include: What skills and experience are needed to succeed in a fast paced diverse career? How can I develop those skills? What challenges should I expect in this type of career? What steps can I take to stand out in a competitive job market?

4. Is it important to consider diversity when seeking a fast paced career?

Yes, diversity and inclusivity in the workplace are crucial for personal and professional growth. It allows for different perspectives, promotes creativity and innovation, and creates a more positive and inclusive work environment.

5. How can I balance a fast paced career with other responsibilities?

Finding a balance between work and personal life is important for mental and physical well-being. It's essential to prioritize and set boundaries, delegate tasks when possible, and practice time management. It's also important to communicate with your employer and colleagues about your needs and limitations.