1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Seeking advice to find a more fast paced diverse career

1. Sep 29, 2016 #1

donpacino

Gold Member

I graduated with a bachelors degree in electrical engineering degree 3 years ago. Since them I have been working full time for a large defense contractor. I just this past year finished a masters degree in systems/controls engineering.

At my work I have a combination of experience in analog design (low and high power), fpga design, and some systems level controls work. I have been lucky enough to move between a few business areas in the short time i have been with the company. I enjoy the subject matter at my job, and the concept of the design. The problem is working for a large company many of the problems are already mostly solved. I got the opportunity to work on a new power supply a few months ago and I was very excited. In reality it was a redesign of an existing power supply. There was little to no architectural difference between the solution I was to make, and the former solution. The implementation required very little math or intellectual capability. It seems that this is the norm, and it makes sense from a business prospective.

The thing that really made me fall in love with engineering was the challenge. It was learning new things every week. My senior year of undergrad I designed a quadrotor UAV power supply, wrote flight code, and designing the control loops for a gps guidance system. While doing that, I was doing design work for an analog motor drive, and writing code for a maze navigating robot. There was always something new to do, something fun and exciting. Every task was a challenge. I dont get that in my job at all. Any math I have to do was already done 15 years ago. All I do is change the values in a spreadsheet. Sure I can say on a resume I re-designed a kalman filter, but in reality all I did was evaluate and barely modify an old one.

I want to find a job where I can restore my passion for engineering. I want to work on multiple projects that have nothing to do with each other. I want to meet with a customer to develop the filter they need for a sensor, design a power supply for someone else one week later, then a month after that write a control algorithm for a robotic arm, and then a month after that help someone implement a high level idea.

Where can I find a more fast paced atmosphere where I can ground up design on multiple projects. I'm also looking for more of an intellectual creative challenge.

I am looking for any sort of advice! How to find companies that do this sort of work. How to go about doing this sort of work. or just advice in general.

I will also begrudgingly accept advice regarding accepting that life is not fair and accepting not fully loving your job :)

Thank you for reading my novel

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2016 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ahhh, Youth !

I worked for a utility and they're known for "Thou shalt not innovate" so i'm not in a position to point you toward a fast paced career.
    Probably you need to start your own company, or work for a small one where they're not so set in their ways.

I also recommend this book
    upload_2016-9-29_1-55-33.png

chapter on "Kitchen Work"
    it's the dues we pay. When you become the "company wizard" you get all the challenging jobs . But it takes some years to get there.

old jim

4. Sep 29, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You may be more suited for a small start-up.

5. Sep 29, 2016 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

if you want fast paced, switch to the research arm of your particular company or find a job at a small company. Large companies do not move fast in any direction at all.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  6. Sep 29, 2016 #5
    As the previous posts suggest, look for a small start up company that is doing something that intrigues you, and as jim suggested avoid government like the plague, I contracted/sold 2 years of my life to our local power utility, terrible...

7. Oct 2, 2016 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

Hey everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at startups for the better part of a year. so far 100% of the startups I have contacted or interviewed with have gone under before or during offers/negotiations. Maybe I should just keep trying

8. Oct 2, 2016 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Well, that is definitely fast paced.

9. Oct 2, 2016 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Gee, you have a gift !
    They only go broke for me after i buy stock .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted