Seeking general advice for geometry

In summary: The real key is persistence and dedication.In summary, this person is struggling with geometry and is looking for advice. They suggest using a book, visualization, and commitment.
Johnx014
Hello,

I started my class on geometry a couple weeks ago, and I feel that I'm struggling. I took Algebra 1 and 2 over the summer, and I never had a problem. I passed both of those expedited classes never getting less than an A on any assignment, but I got a C on my first geometry test. I'm not sure how to study for this subject. With Algebra, I would practice problems until I was getting them all correctly. Geometry is unlike any previous math I've encountered.

Physics news on Phys.org
Johnx014 said:
Hello,

I started my class on geometry a couple weeks ago, and I feel that I'm struggling. I took Algebra 1 and 2 over the summer, and I never had a problem. I passed both of those expedited classes never getting less than an A on any assignment, but I got a C on my first geometry test. I'm not sure how to study for this subject. With Algebra, I would practice problems until I was getting them all correctly. Geometry is unlike any previous math I've encountered.
You are an Algebra person and not a Geometry person. Obviously, if you were not an "Algebra" person, then you would have ONLY had trouble in those two Algebra courses which you were enrolled in the summer. Going through Geometry now that you have more time, will still be difficult because it just does not work the same way exactly as the two Algebra did. You now need to learn to prove things which rely on shapes, and some of these are less regular than you would like. Geometry needs a big adaptation to learn it.

We don't know what aspects of the course are causing you trouble. Is it the proofs and axioms? visualizing the material? If you spent only one summer on both algebra 1 and 2 it is entirely possible you had rather shallow courses in those and don't really have them down. CVertainly you had little time to practice them thoroughly. Math takes a lot of time and contemplation. What book are you using? I like Jacobs for beginners, and Euclid together with Hartshorne for a deep treatment.

In general I suggest trying to visualize the geometric theorems, draw lots of pictures and iomagine things moving around. I am a geometry person, in fact a professional geometer, but I still find plane geometry tricky and hard to get down completely. There are always situations where I find it hard, or completely resistant, to solve a given problem.

What is the definition of geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, relative positions of figures, and properties of space.

What are some common applications of geometry?

Geometry has various applications in everyday life, including in architecture, construction, engineering, art and design, navigation, and computer graphics.

What are some key concepts in geometry?

Some key concepts in geometry include points, lines, angles, shapes (such as triangles, circles, and polygons), area, volume, and symmetry.

How can I improve my understanding of geometry?

To improve your understanding of geometry, it is important to practice regularly, use visual aids such as diagrams and models, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. Additionally, exploring real-life examples and applications of geometry can also help in better understanding the concepts.

Are there any helpful resources for learning geometry?

Yes, there are many helpful resources for learning geometry, including textbooks, online tutorials, educational videos, and practice problems. You can also join study groups or attend workshops and seminars to enhance your understanding of the subject.