Selecting a vacuum pump to lift a 500 gram object with one suction cup

  • Thread starter Thread starter knhari14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lift Pump Vacuum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
knhari14
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Hi,
I have been asked to identify the right vacuum pump to lift the object having 500 grams weight with one suction cup.
I am going through lot of materials to identify correct formulas to calculate the lifting force. and now I am able to calculate the theoretical lifting force. But seems, I am missing something to correlate the theoretical force to vacuum pump capacity to select the required pump.

Hence, requesting you to help me..
Hi,
I have been asked to identify the right vacuum pump to lift the object having 500 grams weight with one suction cup.
I am going through lot of materials to identify correct formulas to calculate the lifting force. and now I am able to calculate the theoretical lifting force. But seems, I am missing something to correlate the theoretical force to vacuum pump capacity to select the required pump.

Hence, requesting you to help me..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you show us your calculations so far? What is the area of the suction cup? How good of a seal can you guarantee between the suction cup and the object?
 
If the suction cup area is large enough and the seal is very good, even a very small vacuum pump can do the job, given enough time.
Please show us what you have figured out so far.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman