Selecting Low cost, High heat-resistant plastics

• Thread starter ENgez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, when selecting low cost, high heat-resistant plastics, factors to consider include the intended use and application, temperature range, mechanical properties, cost constraints, chemical compatibility, and processing requirements. The most common types of these plastics are polyethylene, polypropylene, and polycarbonate. Heat resistance can be determined by looking at the melting point and glass transition temperature. These plastics can be used for food packaging, but it's important to ensure they are food grade and safe for use. Disadvantages of these plastics include potentially lower mechanical properties and chemical resistance, making it important to carefully assess the specific needs before selecting a plastic.
ENgez
Hello,

For a current project, I am searching for high operating temperature (200C-300C), Medium Strength (~80 Mpa UTS) and low cost plastics (or at least not extremely expensive).

So far the closest I found is nylon 6/6 reinforced with 30% carbon fiber. I also found something called Vespal made by dupont, with fitting properties.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Inexpensive AND extreme performance? Does it have to be plastic?

Well, not necessarily I just assumed the material would be a plastic. Any suggestions?

ENgez said:
I just assumed the material
T, UTS --- any other constraints?

no, that's about it.

1. What are the main factors to consider when selecting low cost, high heat-resistant plastics?

The main factors to consider are the intended use and application of the plastic, the temperature range it will be exposed to, the required mechanical properties, and the cost constraints. Other factors to consider include the chemical compatibility and processing requirements.

2. What are the most common types of low cost, high heat-resistant plastics?

The most common types of low cost, high heat-resistant plastics are polyethylene (PE), polypropylene (PP), and polycarbonate (PC). These plastics have a high melting point and can withstand temperatures up to 300 degrees Celsius.

3. How do I determine the heat resistance of a plastic?

The heat resistance of a plastic can be determined by looking at its melting point and glass transition temperature. The higher these temperatures are, the more heat-resistant the plastic will be. It is also important to consider the specific application and temperature range the plastic will be exposed to.

4. Can low cost, high heat-resistant plastics be used for food packaging?

Yes, low cost, high heat-resistant plastics such as PE and PP are commonly used for food packaging. However, it is important to ensure that the plastic is food grade and safe for use with food products. It is also important to consider the temperature range and any potential chemical interactions with the food.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using low cost, high heat-resistant plastics?

One of the main disadvantages of using low cost, high heat-resistant plastics is that they may not have the same mechanical properties as more expensive options. They may also have lower chemical resistance and may not be suitable for certain applications. It is important to carefully assess the specific needs and requirements before selecting a plastic to ensure it is the best option for the intended use.