Selection Rule delta_I = 1/2 in the strangeness-changing weak currents

In summary, the delta_I = 1/2 rule of the strangeness-changing weak current states that the ratio of cross section of the proton->Sigma0 process to the neutron->Sigma- process is 1/2. This rule applies to cabbibo suppressed 'charged current processes' where a neutrino interacts with a nucleon and converts to a lepton, producing a W- which converts a u-quark in the nucleon to a s-quark. This is a strangeness changing process with delta_S = 1, and the cross section ratio of the two processes is written to be 1/2 according to the delta_I = 1/2 rule in equation (3.40). The referenced paper discusses these
zq460
I read in a paper that delta_I = 1/2 rule of the strangeness-changing weak current implies the ratio of cross section of proton->Sigma0 process to neutron->Sigma- process to be 1/2. I do not understand what is this selection rule and how does it effect the cross section ratio of the 2 processes. Is delta_I = 1/2 rule is the change in the isospin of initial and final particle which has to be 1/2 for these processes? Will be great if somebody could explain. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
zq460, Could you be more specific about what reactions you have in mind? The only references I can find about a ΔI = 1/2 rule apply to K → ππ decay.

yes, I should have posted the reference paper. Sorry my first time ever on this forum. Here you can see an old paper http://nngroup.physics.sunysb.edu/~nngroup/misc/Documents/NeutrinoReactionsAtAcceleratorEnergies.pdf. The delta_I = 1/2 rule is mentioned just before equation (3.40) on page 317.

I am talking about the cabbibo suppressed 'charged current processes', where when a neutrino interacts with a nucleon, converts to a lepton producing a W-, which converts a u-quark in the nucleon to a s-quark. So this is a strangness changing process (delta_S = 1) where a 'proton converts to a Sigma0' or a 'neutron converts to a Sigma-', both processes are written in equation (3.39) and their cross section ratio is written to be 1/2 accodording to delta_I = 1/2 rule in equation (3.40). I do not understand the rule and also how it effects the ratio of the cross sections of the 2 processes?

Thanks much for the help!

What is the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 in the strangeness-changing weak currents?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 in strangeness-changing weak currents is a rule that governs the allowed changes in the isospin of particles involved in weak interactions. It states that in weak interactions, the isospin can change by a maximum of 1/2 unit.

Why is the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 important in understanding weak interactions?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 is important in understanding weak interactions because it helps to explain the patterns observed in the decay of particles and the conservation of certain quantum numbers.

How does the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 affect the decay of strange particles?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 plays a crucial role in the decay of strange particles. It allows for certain transitions between different states of strange particles, while prohibiting others. This rule helps to explain the observed decay patterns of strange particles.

Can the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 be violated?

Yes, the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 can be violated in certain rare cases. This violation is known as isospin symmetry breaking and is caused by the small differences in the masses of particles involved in weak interactions.

How does the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 relate to the weak force?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 is a consequence of the weak force, which is one of the four fundamental forces of nature. The weak force is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.