Selection Rule: delta_I = 1/2 in the strangeness-changing weak currents

In summary, the delta_I = 1/2 rule states that the cross section ratio of proton->Ʃ0 process to neutron->Ʃ- process is 1/2. This rule is an empirical observation that is based on the fact that when two particles have the same isospin, the amplitude of the second reaction is greater by a factor of √2.
zq460
I read in a paper http://nngroup.physics.sunysb.edu/~nngroup/misc/Documents/NeutrinoReactionsAtAcceleratorEnergies.pdf that delta_I = 1/2 rule of the strangeness-changing weak current implies the ratio of cross section of proton->Ʃ0 process to neutron->Ʃ- process to be 1/2. The delta_I = 1/2 rule is mentioned just before equation (3.40) on page 317.

I do not understand what is this selection rule, and how does it effect the cross section ratio of the 2 processes? Is delta_I = 1/2 rule is that the change in the isospin of initial and final particle which has to be 1/2 for these processes?

These are the cabbibo suppressed 'charged current processes', where when a neutrino interacts with a nucleon, converts to a lepton producing a W-, which converts a u-quark in the nucleon to a s-quark. So this is a strangness changing process (delta_S = 1) where a 'proton converts to a Ʃ0' or a 'neutron converts to a Ʃ-', both processes are written in equation (3.39) and their cross section ratio is written to be 1/2 accodording to delta_I = 1/2 rule in equation (3.40) which I want to understand.

Thanks much for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, what he is calling a ΔI = 1/2 rule is not really a "rule", but an empirical observation. You're comparing the cross-sections for two semi-leptonic interactions. Rewrite them as

1) μ+ν → ∑0p
2) μ+ν → ∑+n

The right-hand sides couple an isospin 1 particle (∑) with an isospin 1/2 particle (p or n). In general these can form an I = 1/2 state or an I = 3/2 state. Copying the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients from Wikipedia,

1) (for ∑0p) |1, 0> ⊗ |1/2, 1/2> = (√2/3) |3/2, 1/2> ⊕ (-√1/3)|1/2, 1/2>
2) (for ∑+n) |1, 1> ⊗ |1/2, -1/2> = (√1/3) |3/2, 1/2> ⊕ (√2/3)|1/2, 1/2>

The ΔI = 1/2 rule says the reaction produces only I = 1/2. Comparing the coefficients, (-√1/3) for ∑0p and (√2/3) for ∑+n, we find the amplitude for the second reaction is greater by a factor of √2. Therefore the cross-section will be greater by the square of this, namely 2.

Great! I understand now the equations you wrote and such a neat proof of cross section ratio to be 2. However, why did u rewrite the reactions as

1) μ+ν → ∑0p
2) μ+ν → ∑+n

What is the logic behind rewriting the processes as above instead of

1') vp → μ+0
2') vn → μ+-

This actually changes the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, as then for (2') I will have

(for ∑-n) |1, -1> ⊗ |1/2, -1/2> = (1) |3/2, -3/2>
and all other terms will be zero obeying m1+m2 = m rule.

I am sorry I might be missing some very basic and abvious point here. Thanks for the help again.

1. What is the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 in the strangeness-changing weak currents?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 refers to the change in isospin (I) by half a unit in the process of strangeness-changing weak currents. This means that the isospin of the initial and final state particles must differ by half a unit, with the final state having a higher isospin value.

2. Why is the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 important in particle physics?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 is important because it is a fundamental property of the weak interaction, which is responsible for certain types of particle decays and interactions. It helps to explain the conservation of isospin and is used to predict the outcomes of particle decays and interactions.

3. How does the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 affect particle decays?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 plays a crucial role in determining the allowed decays of particles. It restricts the possible decays by requiring the isospin values of the initial and final state particles to differ by half a unit. This helps to explain the observed patterns in particle decays.

4. Can the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 be violated?

In most cases, the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 is strictly followed in particle decays and interactions. However, there are some rare cases where it can be violated, such as in decays involving the weak interaction of strange particles. These violations are important for understanding the fundamental laws of physics.

5. How is the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 related to the concept of strangeness?

The selection rule delta_I = 1/2 is closely related to the concept of strangeness, which is a quantum number that describes the amount of strange quarks in a particle. The presence of a strange quark in a particle changes its isospin by half a unit, making the selection rule delta_I = 1/2 relevant in processes involving the weak interaction of strange particles.