Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-annihilating photons and Z bosons?

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    (If my question seems irrational, it's ok - I'm an undergrad!)

So I was reading up on the standard model and read that Z bosons are their own antiparticles. Does this mean that when two Z bosons are in physical contact, they annihilate? I ask this for photons too since I read this on the "Photon" wiki article, but I'd like some more assurance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Yes, but we need to discuss what the word "annihilate" means. Originally it meant "turns into a pair of photons", but it can be used more generally. In that sense an electron and positron can annihilate into a neutrino-antineutrino pair. Or given sufficient energy, a neutrino-antineutrino pair can annihilate back into positron and electron. When a proton and antiproton "annihilate", multiple particles will be the typical outcome.

Two photons can interact, with the aid of a closed electron loop, to form another pair of photons. This is a very small effect that has been predicted but never observed.

Z0's can interact with each other, but it is called vector boson fusion. They may combine to form a Higgs boson, which then decays into something else. One way that has been proposed to search for the Higgs boson is to look for a resonance in Z-Z or W-W scattering.

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    I am undergrad and it was my question too for some month( intraction of two photons),
    for example what is the photonic explanation of static electromagnetic waves?
    or two destroyer electromagnetic wave?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook