Self Buckling Initial conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of self-buckling in relation to a book being written. The speaker mentions taking inspiration from a source and struggling to understand a specific aspect. They also mention the lack of practical application for this topic in real life.
Vincent Isoz
Hi

For a book I'm writing, i try to write a very very very detail proof of self-buckling.

I did it almost by taking inspiration of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-buckling

But i really really don't get how we arrive to, that when, [tex]x=0[/tex] as we obviously must have:

[tex]\dfrac{\mathrm{d}^2 x}{\mathrm{d}x^2}(x=0)=0[/tex]

that [tex]A=0[/tex]? This last point i don't get it. I must do a stupid error using Bessel functions properties but since 3 weeks I'm trying and i fail... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Engineering news on Phys.org
While this topic is mathematically interesting, it has little practical application. In 50+ years as an engineer dealing with mechanics problems of all sorts, I have never seen anything close to this in real life, and I don't know of anyone who has. This may well be why you are not generating lots of answers.

Likes Nidum

1. What is self buckling in material science?

Self buckling is a phenomenon in which a thin and flexible material collapses or buckles under its own weight or external forces. It occurs when the compressive stress in the material exceeds its critical buckling stress, leading to a sudden change in shape or collapse.

2. What are the initial conditions that can lead to self buckling?

The initial conditions that can lead to self buckling include a compressive load or force applied to the material, a decrease in stiffness or strength of the material, and geometric imperfections or asymmetries in the material's shape or structure.

3. How does self buckling affect the mechanical properties of a material?

Self buckling can significantly reduce the stiffness and strength of a material, making it more prone to deformation and failure. It can also alter the material's load-bearing capacity and change its response to external forces or loads.

4. What are some real-world examples of self buckling in materials?

Self buckling can occur in a variety of materials and structures, including thin-walled structures like columns, beams, and shells. It can also occur in biological materials, such as the collapse of a blood vessel due to high blood pressure, or the folding of proteins due to changes in temperature or pH.

5. How can self buckling be prevented or controlled?

To prevent or control self buckling, engineers and scientists can use design strategies such as increasing the material's thickness, adding reinforcements or support structures, or selecting materials with higher stiffness and strength. Advanced numerical simulations and experimental techniques can also aid in predicting and mitigating self buckling in materials.