Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self-disproportionation of N-acetyl-dl-phenylalanine

1. Mar 23, 2016 #1
    HI!
    I need information on the self-disproportionation of N-acetyl-dl-phenylalanine on achiral - phase chromatography columns . I am looking for publications in which is described the change of optical purity e.e?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't find anything with a cursory glance over the literature specifically for N-acetylphenylalanine. There may be a few reasons for this. It's my understanding that 1) you have to have some enantiomeric excess to begin with, and 2) the effect depends strongly on how different functional groups affect aggregation of the molecules in solution. So if you just start with pure N-acetyl-DL-phenylalanine (a racemic mixture), you presumably won't get any effect. But it might also be the case that even for a non-racemic mixture of N-acetylphenylalanine, the individual molecules simply don't aggregate properly to see a strong effect. Here's a review article:

http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2012/CS/C2CS35006H#!divAbstract

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted