According to the Pepsi website, a can of Diet Pepsi has 111mg of Aspartame per container. http://www.pepsiproductfacts.com/in..._fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Diet Pepsi In the body Aspartame metabolises primarily to Phenylalanine ~50%, secondarily to Aspartic Acid ~40%, and Methanol ~10%. I am unable to find out what happens to Aspartame in the acidic environment of our stomach. According to Wikipedia, "Under strongly acidic or alkaline conditions, aspartame may generate methanol by hydrolysis." which I have confirmed with several other research resources. I do not know how 'strongly acidic or alkaline' it must be. I would like to find this out. I am also unable to obtain pure aspartame to test its reactivity with different acids or chemicals. ~10% x 111mg = ~11.1mg of methanol after metabolization Wikipedia - If ingested, as little as 10 mL of pure methanol can cause permanent blindness by destruction of the optic nerve, and 30 ml is potentially fatal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame So for a quantity of Aspartame that would cause permanent damage and severe symptoms (if fully metabolized and absorbed) I shall calculate approximately how much you need to consume. Methanol's density is 0.791 g/mL Mass = density * volume Mass = 0.791*10.00 (for 10ml) Mass = 7.91 Mass conversion: 7.91 g = 7,910mg 7,910mg / 11.1mg = 712.612612-(just keeps going) 713~ cans of Pepsi would produce a toxic methanol dose after metabolization (assuming nothing else would affect it) (also assuming you hadn't already suffered from some other effect from some other ingredient [like blood dilution from all that water? lol]) [PLAIN]http://www.antizol.com/images/figure2.gif [Broken] Methanol is a potently toxic substance, the long term effects of small doses of the substance should be studied.... in any case the information I wish to find, but cannot is why I'm here. How long does it take for a dose of Methanol (and formaldehyde [and formic acid]) to metabolize in the body, and how long would it take for the body to get rid of it? I have read conflicting information about the rate at which humans metabolize or get rid of these substances, so I would appriciate some insight :) According to http://www.antizol.com/mpoisono.htm [Broken] : "Methanol is readily absorbed from the gut, skin, and lungs. Peak serum concentration usually occurs in 30-60 minutes following oral ingestions. Methanol distributes widely in body water with a volume distribution of 0.6 L/kg. Methanol is slowly and erratically metabolized in the liver and follows zero order kinetics. Approximately 3% of a methanol dose is excreted through the lungs or excreted unchanged in the urine. The half-life of methanol is prolonged to 30-50 hours during antidotal therapy (Palatnick 1995)." Oh, and I should probably mention that the size of the drink I looked at was 7.5fl oz, the smallest on the Pepsi website. The largest is 20 fl oz. The large size contains 295mg of Aspartame per container.