Self study plan for understanding nutritional processes

In summary, the speaker has a background in physics and math and is interested in learning about nutrition. They plan to take organic chemistry, molecular biology, and biochemistry courses to gain a foundation in these subjects. They are currently working through textbooks on organic chemistry and plan to move on to molecular biology and biochemistry. They welcome any suggestions on their learning journey.
redrzewski
I've got a good background in physics and math. I'm interested in getting a decent foundation in chemistry/biology with an eye towards understanding nutrition (for starters). (I've been out of school for years.)

From browsing course requirements, it seems like I'll need: organic chemistry, molecular biology, then biochemistry. From there, I should have the necessary pre-reqs for jumping into the nutritional texts.

Is this reasonable? Am I missing anything?

So far I'm working thru Clayden (et al) Organic Chem. Then I plan to move to Albert's (et al) Molecular Biology of the Cell. Then probably Voet/Voet for Biochem.

Any suggestions are welcome.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
More than enough. Many of the "nutritionists" I have talked to know next to nothing about the associated biochemistry.

Many nutritionists also seem to know next to nothing about proper nutrition, barring parrotting long busted myths :)

1. What is a self study plan for understanding nutritional processes?

A self study plan for understanding nutritional processes is a personalized learning plan that individuals can create for themselves to gain a deeper understanding of how the body processes and utilizes nutrients. It typically involves a combination of independent research, reading, and practical application.

2. Why is it important to have a self study plan for understanding nutritional processes?

Having a self study plan for understanding nutritional processes allows individuals to take control of their own learning and tailor it to their specific needs and interests. It also allows for a more thorough understanding of the topic, as it can be studied at a pace and in a format that is most effective for the individual.

3. How do I create a self study plan for understanding nutritional processes?

The first step in creating a self study plan is to identify your goals and objectives. This could include specific topics you want to learn about or skills you want to develop. Next, you can gather resources such as textbooks, online articles, and videos that cover these topics. Then, create a schedule or timeline for studying and stick to it. Lastly, make sure to actively engage with the material through note-taking and practice.

4. What are some resources that can be used for a self study plan for understanding nutritional processes?

There are many resources available for self study, including textbooks, online courses, scientific journals, and educational videos. Additionally, reputable organizations and government agencies such as the World Health Organization and the National Institutes of Health provide reliable and up-to-date information on nutritional processes.

5. How can I track my progress with a self study plan for understanding nutritional processes?

One way to track progress is by setting specific learning objectives and evaluating whether they have been met. You can also keep track of the resources you have used and the topics you have covered. Another helpful method is to regularly review and summarize the material you have studied to ensure understanding and retention.