Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Self-Teaching Topological Insulators/Phases/Symmetry

1. Oct 6, 2017 #1
    Hey I am a recent graduate with a B.S. in physics and mathematics. The highest physics class I officially took is Quantum Mechanics. I am very interested in learning about topological insulators, topological phases, and topological symmetry, but when I look at papers in the field on Arxiv I can tell that there is a long road ahead. I would like to know the best way to move forward that is most efficient/fastest. If you can suggest sources/a path with lots of problem solving that would be ideal, I tried to get my way through without doing problems and just reading so I can go through the material faster but I realized how futile and silly that is.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2017 #2

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are several review papers and also several books. The most widely known book is Topological Insulators and Superconductors by Bernevig and the best reviews can be found under arXiv:1008.202 and 1002.3895. There is also a book Field Theories of Condensed Matter physics which is a general book but has parts discussing topological insulators along with the quantum Hall effect and the Haldane model which are both very important to understand topolological insulators.

Also note that when people say topological insulator they usually are referring to “time reversal invariant (TRI) Z2 topological insulators even though it is really a general term which just describes states gapped in the bulk with conducting surface states. To be more specific, the TRI topological insulator is a symmetry protected state, breaking time reversal gaps the edge states. There are other states like the FQHE which are actually topologically ordered state in that the state is protected against ANY local perturbation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted