Self-Teaching Topological Insulators/Phases/Symmetry

• A
  • Thread starter TopologicalPassion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topological
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in learning about topological insulators and their struggle to find efficient and effective sources for learning. Several review papers and books are mentioned, with the most widely known being Topological Insulators and Superconductors by Bernevig. It is noted that when people refer to topological insulators, they are usually talking about "time reversal invariant (TRI) Z2 topological insulators." The speaker also mentions their current focus on mastering quantum mechanics material and doing practice problems.
TopologicalPassion
Hey I am a recent graduate with a B.S. in physics and mathematics. The highest physics class I officially took is Quantum Mechanics. I am very interested in learning about topological insulators, topological phases, and topological symmetry, but when I look at papers in the field on Arxiv I can tell that there is a long road ahead. I would like to know the best way to move forward that is most efficient/fastest. If you can suggest sources/a path with lots of problem solving that would be ideal, I tried to get my way through without doing problems and just reading so I can go through the material faster but I realized how futile and silly that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several review papers and also several books. The most widely known book is Topological Insulators and Superconductors by Bernevig and the best reviews can be found under arXiv:1008.202 and 1002.3895. There is also a book Field Theories of Condensed Matter physics which is a general book but has parts discussing topological insulators along with the quantum Hall effect and the Haldane model which are both very important to understand topolological insulators.

Also note that when people say topological insulator they usually are referring to “time reversal invariant (TRI) Z2 topological insulators even though it is really a general term which just describes states gapped in the bulk with conducting surface states. To be more specific, the TRI topological insulator is a symmetry protected state, breaking time reversal gaps the edge states. There are other states like the FQHE which are actually topologically ordered state in that the state is protected against ANY local perturbation.

Likes atyy
radium said:
There are several review papers and also several books. The most widely known book is Topological Insulators and Superconductors by Bernevig and the best reviews can be found under arXiv:1008.202 and 1002.3895. There is also a book Field Theories of Condensed Matter physics which is a general book but has parts discussing topological insulators along with the quantum Hall effect and the Haldane model which are both very important to understand topolological insulators.

Also note that when people say topological insulator they usually are referring to “time reversal invariant (TRI) Z2 topological insulators even though it is really a general term which just describes states gapped in the bulk with conducting surface states. To be more specific, the TRI topological insulator is a symmetry protected state, breaking time reversal gaps the edge states. There are other states like the FQHE which are actually topologically ordered state in that the state is protected against ANY local perturbation.

I apologize for the long reply. The first one you gave me "arxiv:1008.202" doesn't lead to anything, perhaps you meant 1008.2026, which is a good review to look over very slowly. I took a look at the 1002.3895 and I like it so far; it looks like a great intro. It probably will take me some time to dissect it because I haven't taken a solid state physics course but I can learn as I go along. I got the book by Bernevig, it's good but some of the material is a bit advanced for me at this point so I will save it for a bit later. Since I took a gap year I am going through quantum mechanics material and doing as many problems as possible with the aim of mastering the material like the back of my hands. Is that something that you would advise?

I found the book by Field Theories of Condensed Matter physics to be very mathematically elegant and interesting, but again I'm going to have to keep an eye on it as I develop some of the prerequisites.

1. What are topological insulators and how do they differ from regular insulators?

Topological insulators are materials that conduct electricity on their surface but are insulating in their bulk. This is in contrast to regular insulators, which do not conduct electricity at all. The unique electronic properties of topological insulators are due to the presence of a topological order, which protects the conducting surface states.

2. What is the significance of the topological phase in materials?

The topological phase in materials is significant because it can lead to the emergence of exotic electronic properties, such as protected surface states, that are robust against defects and disorder. These properties can have potential applications in quantum computing, spintronics, and other advanced technologies.

3. How are symmetry and topology related in topological insulators?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in determining the topological properties of a material. In topological insulators, the presence of certain symmetries, such as time-reversal symmetry and particle-hole symmetry, can protect the conducting surface states and lead to a distinct topological phase.

4. Can topological insulators be self-taught?

Yes, topological insulators can be self-taught through self-study and research. However, a strong background in condensed matter physics and topology is necessary to fully understand the principles and properties of topological insulators.

5. What are the current challenges in self-teaching topological insulators?

One of the main challenges in self-teaching topological insulators is the complex mathematical concepts involved, such as topology and group theory. Additionally, the field is still relatively new and rapidly evolving, so keeping up with the latest research and developments can be challenging for self-learners.