Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Senior management no less for smoking a ciggy

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

To senior management no less for smoking a ciggy 5 mins before my official finish time, no comment however that i came in 30 mins early on my own time to help out, no comment on all the times i have been asked to help out out side my work hours, well you can guess what i will say to management if this is actioned.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2
    Re: Reported

I completely agree. I'm alway doing work, after work. My job is on the honor system I don't clock in and most the time I don't have to go into the office, so I just write down at the end of the week how many hours I worked and I always just put 40 hours so I guess I screw myself out of the extra time and can't really complain. We should get roll over minutes. If we come in fifteen minutes early every day for a month take the next day off.
    On the other hand you couldn't wait five minutes for a cigarette?

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

That is BS.

I occasionally smoke pot at work, and it's not a problem. Better for you than nasty cigarettes as well.

5. Aug 7, 2008 #4

Forget the fact that you keep driving the forklift down the stairs

6. Aug 7, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I could wait, it is just every thing that could be done had been done, on the other shifts the canteen is the office, i just think some one got out of bed the wrong side and decided to be
    petty.

7. Aug 7, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See, we keep telling you smoking is bad for you. :biggrin: Though, that is sad that they report you for basically finishing your shift a bit early since you started early.

8. Aug 7, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What kind of a nasty back-stabbing place do you work at Wolram?

Smokers where I work spend 4 hours a day outside puffing away. They might as well, the rest are inside playing on the internet.

9. Aug 7, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Well i am going to wear a stab vest from now on, it seems there must be some new crawlers working here and they are desperate for points.

10. Aug 7, 2008 #9

Do you happen to work in a marijuana plantation site?

About the smoking thing, you should blame the government for banning smoking indoors :biggrin:

11. Aug 7, 2008 #10

That'll teach you to smoke at work. Next time you want to smoke make sure you bring enough for everybody.

12. Aug 7, 2008 #11

I had a job once where I used to work my *** off compared to all of the other jerks there. I was constantly having to clean up after them and do all of the stuff they didn't feel like doing. But somehow just about every time my boss showed up I was in the middle of my break. With out considering anything else he would more or less assume I must not be doing much work.

13. Aug 7, 2008 #12

It is best to follow rules and regulations while working with large # of people.

I directly work under my employer, and he knows how much I work. I can easily take days off or take weekend on Wednesday.

14. Aug 8, 2008 #13

russ_watters

It's like that in the office building where I work too. I really need to take up smoking. Life is so much easier when you're a smoker (until the cancer, of course, but that won't happen for another 50 years).

15. Aug 8, 2008 #14

Did you see that study where it showed that multiple smoke breaks actually made for more productive workers? They are energized by the 5 or 10 minutes away from working and come back ready to work at high speed. Non smokers who didn't get the breaks got slower and slower as the day wore on. I totally made this up and I apologize, but it could be true.

16. Aug 8, 2008 #15

No worries 98% of all studies are made up anyways.

17. Aug 8, 2008 #16

russ_watters

There was a recent study about breaks increasing productivity, but after a certain point, you're just taking hours out of the day (and I do mean hours). That's the problem with workplace smoking. People really do spend a lot of time doing it.
    http://www.kingstonsmith.co.uk/King...se+Productivity+by+up+to+fourteen+percent.htm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?